Categories

Eagle tutorial: How to position components on the bottom side of the board

Posted on Monday, December 3rd, 2012 in Eagle, tutorials by DP

If you really wanna jam as many components in the tightest space possible, dual side placement is the way to go. Luca made a tutorial for Eagle which describes how to place components on the bottom side of the board.

This entry was posted on Monday, December 3rd, 2012 at 1:00 pm and is filed under Eagle, tutorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

10 Responses to “Eagle tutorial: How to position components on the bottom side of the board”

1. HuB says:

I was hoping that tutorial is usualy longer than 3 sentences :)

2. Matseng says:

Hmmm.. I had expected a little bit more than “1) Select the mirror tool. 2) Click on the component”

3. AJ says:

Wow, that was a really in-depth tutorial.

4. Drone says:

When are we going to get past restrictive-proprietary Eagle and focus on true cross-platform open-source EDA? KiCad is close, but as long as you focus on Eagle, open source suffers. Take the lead DP, refocus – even if the likes of KiCad is not “perfect” for you. Shift the focus!

• ewertz says:

I think that Ian & DP has already done a commendable job laying out the case for KiCad.
      You’re welcome to start your own blog and Ian & Co would probably be happy to link to it when it makes sense.

Can’t we just argue about something equally as religious has yet to be resolved for ~20 years — Emacs vs. vi? That would also be a fruitful pursuit.

5. ewertz says:

I tend to avoid putting components on the back because of the alleged extra cost of doing so for automated assembly (not that I’m there yet). For hand-assembly putting parts on both sides is pretty much a who-cares as far am I’m concerned.

Can anyone comment on real penalty to be paid for 2-sided assembly? For example, how much extra would something like the Bus Pirate cost if a significant number of the components were on the backside — also taking into account the likely smaller resultant PCB on the cost-savings side?

• ewertz says:

it doesn’t matter how many times I proofread my own posts, I’ll never have a typo/grammar-oops-free entry. 0.5*LOL

• Matseng says:

That is an interesting question… I tend to put smd parts on both sides for most my designs, it would be interesting to know how that would impact the cost for manufacturing if I ever would do something in more than hand-assembly quantities.

6. Tom Price says:

I like to put 0805 passives on the bottom of stripboard prototypes too, especially bypass and crystal caps so I can get them close to the pins.