Categories

DIY ATX Bench power supply

Posted on Monday, April 20th, 2015 in ATX BB, power supply by DP

B09Y_GPCcAISa7F

@LuisMirandaAceb tweeted, “I started only with ATX PS and your breakout board but finally this is what I ended with… ”

This entry was posted on Monday, April 20th, 2015 at 11:45 pm and is filed under ATX BB, power supply. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

7 Responses to “DIY ATX Bench power supply”

1. Johan Stodberg says:

I want to know more about this project it looks awesome.

2. Iain says:

Looks great. Tell me more…

3. Luis Miranda says:

Hello,

This power supply was built about 6 months ago.
    I connected an ATX breakout from dangerousprototypes to an old ATX power supply to be able to power-on it and have easy access to outputs. I replaced reseteable fuses with bigger ones.
    I put cheap amp-meters to be able to measure current in -5V, 3V3, 5V, 12V outputs.

On the right hand-side you can see an adjustable output voltage with selectable current limit I bought on ebay.

And on the left hand-side there is a -48V output provided by a tiny dedicated power supply I put in remaining space inside the box.

If you want more details you can contact me on twitter.

4. Luis Miranda says:

Sorry, outputs are -12V, 3V3, 5V and 12V

5. James Andrews says:

What resettable fuses did you use? 1.2A is a little low imo, I was hoping 3A but the 3A ones I found have a 50 ohm resistance which is not good for this imo.

• KH says:

I’m thinking separate paths. Most MCU boards will use little power so the basic 1.2A line will be fine, then I might want a separate power path for servos etc. (usually when I pull power from a molex from a PC I use 1.1A SMD PTC fuses myself, plus a biggish Schottky.)

Anyway, I am looking at my data sheets, and a leaded MC33163 from Multicomp (via Farnell) with a 3A hold current is specified as 0.02ohm to 0.08ohm. How did you manage 50ohm?