Categories

Hacker Camp Shenzhen vol 4: 182 degrees open for registration!

Posted on Tuesday, January 20th, 2015 in Announcements, Hacker Camp Shenzhen by DP

140405-IMG_20140405_162505-W600 Hacker Camp Shenzhen volume 4: “182 degrees” is on! Join us from Thursday April 1 to Saturday April 3, 2015 for fun, food and 3 solid days of electronics tours in Shenzhen China and beyond.

Tickets are available now. Come to the world’s electronics capital and experience Shenzhen like a local hacker. Tour the famous Huaqiangbei electronics markets with people who live in the neighborhood, figure out what to eat and how to get around.

This camp we’re adding an oft requested factory tour! Take our own party bus to a few factories around Shenzhen. Exact factory visits will be determined by you! We’ll take requests and try to include something for everyone.

Saturday we’ll explore electronics and tools markets most foreigners could never find: Yihua and the massive Shajing.

Schedule

• Optional: Tuesday March 31 – Dinner at Szechuan place
  • Optional: Wednesday April 1 – Tour of Dongmen market & sign street, copy mall, early arrival dinner at Japanese Secret Location
  • Thursday April 2 – How to survive Shenzhen, Huaqianbei tour, hot pot dinner
  • Friday April 3 – Factory tours, BBQ dinner
  • Saturday April 4 – Tour of Yihua and Depu markets, Hacker shaokao

That’s just an overview. See the full Hacker Camp Shenzhen schedule here. You can expect nightly dinners and parties all week. Be sure to give yourself a few days to explore the market on your own after the camp!

Tickets

Tickets for the camp cover bus rental, materials, meeting room, a translator, a set of PCBs, and 3 bottles of Tsing Tao (Ching Dao) per dinner. There’s only 20 tickets available and we expect they will sell out fast. Or maybe it’ll be a small intimate group. Who knows! We’re excited to see you there!

• Student/Starving Artist ticket – $250
  • Normal ticket – $300
  • Supporter ticket – $400 (your name on the site and schedule of every future camp)

We also include allowance for Paypal fees, wire transfer fees, and currency conversion. Hacker Camp Shenzhen is a “no profit” event, meaning we’re lucky to break even.

Where to stay, visas, how to get there

City Inn is the recommended hotel, but be prepared for really bad internet and no WIFI. Check out the Hacker Camp mini-site and our Shenzhen survival guide. Be sure to get WeChat and join the Shenzhen Hacker group chat after you buy a ticket!

SIM card provided

We’re traveling to places an hour or so north of Shenzhen, there are no taxis and nobody speaks English. Everyone must have a working SIM card with data, and this camp we’ll provide them!

Can’t make this one?

Hacker Camp Shenzhen volume 5: “Pun TBD” will be in June 2015, just prior to Shenzhen Maker Faire.

Hacker Camp Shenzhen mailing list!

Don’t miss out, signup to be notified about upcoming hacker camps in Shenzhen!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 20th, 2015 at 8:41 am and is filed under Announcements, Hacker Camp Shenzhen. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

20 Responses to “Hacker Camp Shenzhen vol 4: 182 degrees open for registration!”

1. Sjaak says:

Whoop whoop !!

I’ll vote for PCB manufacturing and assembly factories (foxconn?? :P)

2. Sleepwalker3 says:

Would love to be there, but alas…
    Have fun guys!

3. S says:

The prices on the registration page probably needs updating?

4. Max says:

Since Shenzen came up – still don’t remember ever having seen that “revolutionarily simple, invented in-house” BGA reballing video that kept coming “soon” about a year ago. Did I simply miss it…?

• Ian says:

You’re right. It is done, but I have to leave the country to upload it and I keep forgetting when I’m in Hong Kong. I put a note on my monitor and will do it next time I’m there.

• Shu says:

Ian, why don’t you use a VPN to the US or Europe, preferably Sweden, to surf the Internet. The recent upgrades in their deep packet inspection systems makes living (read: surfing the internet) a terrible experience, aight! I know at least one VPN provider which is not blocked due to it’s ability to make OpenVPN traffic appear as normal SSL traffic. Their internet address starts with https://vpn and ends with .ac/
        I would also be willing to set up a vserver with a fresh ipv4 address and openvpn. Instead of a public service an ipv4 that is only accessed by ~two people from china might be a solution?

• Sjaak says:

My personal experience is that bandwidth to outside china is terrible. It is prolly capped and crippled to make vpn or ssl not very pratical. I got timeouts all the time, this would kill any video uploads ;)

5. Richard Sharpe says:

Ching Dao

The more correct pinyin is Qingdao, even more correct is Qing1dao3 (I can’t be bothered to figure out how to add the tone marks.)

• Ian says:

You’re right :) It was just phonetic for non speakers though. First time I came to China I called it “Sing Tow”, which resulted in a super awkward night with one very confused room service guy wondering why three hackers in a hotel room asked them to send towels… :)

6. rsim says:

I’m getting a 500 Internal Server Error on the mailing list link.

Really wish I could make it to this one – the first Hacker Camp is one of my fondest memories. Amazing time with amazing people in an amazing place.