Categories

Hacker Camp Shenzhen vol 2: Reflux open for registration

Posted on Thursday, August 7th, 2014 in Global Geek, Hacker Camp Shenzhen, Shenzhen by Ian

Hacker Camp Shenzhen volume 2: “Reflux” is on! Join us from Thursday September 25 to Saturday September 27, 2014 for fun, food and solder fumes in Shenzhen, China. Tickets are available now.

Come to the world’s electronics capital and experience Shenzhen like a local hacker. Tour the famous Huaqiangbei electronics markets with people who live in the neighborhood, figure out what to eat and how to get around, and of course – learn how to reball BGA chips from a soldering master with noth’n but hand tools. Check out the first camp here.

Schedule

• Optional: Tuesday 23 – early arrival dinner at Japanese Secret Location
  • Optional: Wednesday 24 – tour of Dongmen market & sign street, copy mall
  • Thursday 25 – talks: how to survive Shenzhen, Huaqianbei tour
  • Friday 26 – talks: how to use Shenzhen to the fullest, BGA reballing day 1
  • Saturday 27 – BGA reballing day 2, hacker BBQ

That’s just an overview. See the full Hacker Camp Shenzhen schedule here. You can expect nightly dinners and parties all week. If you want to come really early, we’re hacking Phuket from the 15th to the 19th.

Changes

Based on a survey of the first hacker camp we’ve tweaked the morning talks. Three days of talks was just too much. We reduced it to 2 days, and will dish out bite size bits of info in rapid succession. Sleep in after Friday’s party and finish the reballing course refreshed!

Tickets

Tickets for the first camp were priced so we could break even. That didn’t happen… The price has increased now that we have some experience planning the event.

We still want everyone to have a chance to be involved so there’s three classes of tickets. We’ll trust you to make the right choice. You’re at our mercy in China after all!

• Student/starving artist – $350
  • Normal ticket – $400
  • Sponsor – $500

There’s only 25 tickets available and we expect they will sell out fast. Or maybe it’ll be a small intimate group. Who knows! We’re excited to see you there!

Where to stay, visas, how to get there

Check out the Hacker Camp mini-site and our Shenzhen survival guide. Be sure to get WeChat and join the Shenzhen Hacker group chat after you buy a ticket!

Can’t make this one?

Hacker Camp Shenzhen volume 3: “Reflow” is slated for November 17-19, 2014. Just in time to hit Maker Faire Tokyo and Department H the next weekend.

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 7th, 2014 at 8:59 am and is filed under Global Geek, Hacker Camp Shenzhen, Shenzhen. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

10 Responses to “Hacker Camp Shenzhen vol 2: Reflux open for registration”

1. tayken says:

This time I’ll be away for holiday (and some other stuff ;) ) but I’ll try to come for the next one. :)

• Ian says:

Please do. Was about to write you with an invite. Really want to get you over here. There is always a spot open for you.

• tayken says:

Believe me, after last time, seeing all the pics, I would if I could. Sending you a PM for the reason why I’m gone, I guess you’ll like it. :)

2. peter says:

the schedule is off (copy and paste from last camp maybe?)

• Ian says:

Thanks.evidently I can’t count. Fixed

• Ting says:

Ian, I could only spare 2 to 3 days. Can I just join for the optional Tuesday and Wednesday and skip the rest? How much will it cost me?

• Ian says:

Hi Ting – based on our last camp we have a firm no custom packages rule. You can buy a ticket and come to whatever parts you like, but I’m sorry, we both don’t have the ability or time to make a custom package for you and take payment. That said, there is a starving artist/student ticket available – that seems like a good use of one to me.

3. Ting says:

Ian, Understood ;-) I am unable to determine whehter I could join in Sep; Nov is not possible too. Let’s see; perhaps 2015

4. Naima says:

Hi Ian,
    I really want to come but need to figure make sure the supply parts I need for my project can be bought while in Shenzen.I am looking for LEDs in 3watt , 5w and 10 w 11+ Wavelengths of Color Output: 760nm, 740nm, 720nm, 660nm, 630nm, 615nm-480nm, 460nm, 440nm, 415nm, 380nm. Is there any way to get the lumens, par and spectrum specs from the stalls at the market? Also looking for some tools : a good quality light meter, PAR( photosynthetically active radiation) meter,spectrometer. Can you share with me if it makes sense to come just to source these parts ?I am at naima dot zakaria at Gmail.com I think it’s great you are doing this! Naima

• Ian says:

I think the reason to come here is to experience it all. You can get a lot of stuff at the markets and meet a lot of distributors and manufacturers. You can do even more on Taobao. My suggestion is to hit taobao with google chrome translate and check it out.

If you want to source suppliers without coming here, we do that at dirtysourcing.com. Enter your specs and we will source 3 suppliers you can deal with directly. It will cost you $16 per part.