Categories

Random spottings in Huaqiangbei electronics market

Posted on Thursday, August 7th, 2014 in Global Geek, Shenzhen by Ian

image

In search of a powerful frickin’ laser we visited this stand. They were really up front that the 6Watt label was incorrect, but the 2.5Watt output of this little handheld laser was still impressive. For a little demo she showed us that it could melt a piece of solder in half…with a bit of effort. The box under it burned nicely though. 700RMB, a bit more than 100USD, before any bargaining.

image

This new building has been going up for a year. Its quite stylish compared to anything else in the area.

image

You may have heard of the MacDonald’s supplier issue in China. This menu isn’t breakfast, they’ve just run out of anything else and now serve breatfast sandos all day long.

This entry was posted on Thursday, August 7th, 2014 at 8:41 am and is filed under Global Geek, Shenzhen. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

10 Responses to “Random spottings in Huaqiangbei electronics market”

1. Sleepwalker3 says:

Anything a bit more powerful going cheap? Like 50W-100W?
    What’s the deal with macca’s or can’t you say over the ‘open’ net ;)

2. jebcom says:

Too much great food in China to waste a meal at micky-dee’s. That’s like being in the midst of Huaqiangbei and longing for a Radio Shack.

3. Sleepwalker3 says:

Grrr, now you’re making me hungry! D’OH!

4. jebcom says:

Yeah, me too. Meet me in Shenzhen next month, and we’ll have a great meal!

5. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Years ago, McD in China served pickled pork sausage w/mustard in their ‘hamburgers’; no beef to be found. The Chinese seemed to only order french fries and ice cream cones anyway. KFC sold by the piece, no buckets, and their biggest seller was large orange juices.

Too bad she’s not wearing eye protection.

• Ian says:

Never experienced.that. always been fine.late night food.here. but I don’t really eat it. Just interesting random observation.

In terms of safety glasses…. I’ve been told by my best profs that blue laser light reflected is not harmful. Your Milagros may vary.

• JBeale says:

I guess that’s a joke; if it’s a good shiny surface, “reflected” strength can approach full beam strength… if the beam can burn cardboard and melt solder, I would not want to get in the way!

6. macpod says:

I can’t comment on if the specular reflection is enough to do damage without measuring it (but I do have that capability… I might have to try that now), but I can say it only takes once incident of that thing rolling unexpectedly to end up with permanent eye damage. Safety glasses are far cheaper than eyes:
    Look on the laserpointerforums:

f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

7. James Hendry says:

The new building is a car park, So you can buy fake micro SD chips from the place next door by the boot full. Warning avoid.