I received inspiration for the project from other USB isolator projects on the internet. Mine features a few improvements to many of them:
- USB-B and micro-USB connectors on the host (upstream) side
- In addition to accepting power via the barrel connector (which goes through a basic 7805 low dropout linear regulator), there is also a micro-USB port for device-side power. This allows you to use the now common cell phone charger cube to power your isolated device
- Push-button switch for easy USB disconnection events
- Bypass jumper for linear regulator, allowing for 5V power from the barrel connector
- Encased in a small box to protect the IC from the world
Check out the video after the break.