Here is the Smoke Tester. It’s a board designed to safely power prototypes for the first time and see if there are shorts. Current can be measured using a voltmeter. Here’s the full feature list.
- 5V and 3.3v voltage regulators
- 7V-15V input
- 3 possible input sources: USB, 2mm DC barrel jack, and screw terminals
- 3 possible outputs: USB, Banana Jacks, and screw terminals
- Polyfuses with fuse blown LED indicators on both rails
- Current to voltage converters – aloes you to read the current simply with a voltmeter
- Jumpers to bypass the current measurement shunts
- Jumper to bypass the 5V voltage regulator, allowing you to power the 5V output rail directly from the USB input
This design is intended as a workshop tool, but if enough people like it might go into production as well. The current measurement feature was inspired by Schazamp’s “USB Power Supply with Resettable PTC“, we strongly suggest you check it out.
Prototype boards will go out soon with any updates. If you have any suggestions please leave a comments below, or check out the forum thread about it.