DIY flux made from pine gum straight from the tree

Posted on Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 in DIY by DP

We’ve posted about homemade flux before, but Tom has taken it to a whole new level. He used pine gum straight from the tree for his Flux recipe. He dissolved the rosin in some 99% isopropyl alcohol, and filtered it using coffee filters.

I tried making flux from an even more raw material, pine gum straight from the tree. It had to be filtered, of course, but so far so good — and the turpentine in it hasn’t eaten through my bottle yet. :)

Via the forum.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 at 11:00 am and is filed under DIY. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

5 Responses to “DIY flux made from pine gum straight from the tree”

  1. Rob Thomas says:

    this is most definitely clean-board-after-use flux! But a neat idea, and begs the question: why is purchased flux so expensive?”

  2. Winston says:

    Interesting, but I’ve finally got to ask – what’s with you guys and your fascination with homemade flux?

    • Rob Thomas says:

      Because it is there? Or because we buy thin flux for this and thick for that, it is nice to know what is going on, and maybe make it better! e.g., I’d like a sticky flux that still retained the smd float-into-place feature. I have tried thick stuff, and by the time it burns off your component has moved to the next pin, and thin stuff that practically requires you to glue the component down. Hacking is the driving force.

      • Winston says:

        OK, was simply wondering. I have both thick and thin commercially made stuff, buying them when I occasionally find them on sale somewhere.

    • Ian says:

      For me it started with testing a bunch of different fluxes, when someone in the forum documented making their own. I wanted in on that hacking action for sure :)

Leave a Reply

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

Recent Comments

  • Joe Desbonnet: Ya, I can recommend the low melting point solder. I used brand 'ChipQuik' and it's amazingly easy to use.
  • Jerome: I need a new BusPirate for the Fablab ;) Many thanks!
  • Max: Seems like an unexpectedly violent way to remove the chip indeed. A hot air station should of course do the job just fine, but in...
  • jose: Part removal described here is pure butchery, the cheapest hot air station will do a fast and clean job removing the QFP, heat air to...
  • Cody: Yes please