Categories

3D Model: Bus Pirate 3.5c

Posted on Monday, February 13th, 2012 in 3D Model by Filip

Bus Pirate 3.5c is the next project we converted to a 3D model. This time we upgraded the rendering with Maxwell’s render plugin for SketchUp.

The plugin is free for resolutions of up to 800×600. First select the materials (plastic, aluminum, lacquer) for your object from the preloaded library, then start the render. It creates a photo-realistic image like the one above.

The models will be published in the Dangerous Prototypes 3D warehouse collection. They are also uploaded to our SVN. You can find them inside the “art” folders in the respective project folders. Check out the 3D view below. You can zoom and rotate the model.

Get your own handy Bus Pirate for $30, including world-wide shipping. Also available from our friendly distributors.

This entry was posted on Monday, February 13th, 2012 at 3:00 pm and is filed under 3D Model. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

8 Responses to “3D Model: Bus Pirate 3.5c”

1. Wow. That is a really nice looking rendering. How much time did it take you tweaking the materials and lighting to achieve this effect? Very sweet –

*Brian

• Filip says:

Actually I did no tweaking of the lighting, only the materials, I think I changed maybe 5-10 materials all together, maybe 10minutes to do. But the rendering was done at highest quality, highest number of iterations for the free mode (20). It took around 45minutes to complete. with a AMD Athlon II x3 @ 3.6Ghz (with he l3 cash unlocked)

2. vimark says:

Very nice!

3. Arup says:

omg. So realistic. the iS the Best 3d rendeing of any pcb I have ever seen .

4. Bayu says:

Wow… wow… wow…, unbelievable, it’ very nice 3d rendering :)

5. Jerome says:

Nice rendering Filip,
    I will write more articles about material choices for realistic previews. You can already try to set a metal/gold on your gold material, looks very nice, for ex the header pins. Also, try to reduce the gloss of the PCB and plastic ICs. Then you get a real board :-)
    What is your impression on the renderer ? Is it simple and intuitive enough ?
    Jerome

• Filip says:

Its awesome, and super simple to use, It complements your EagleUP script beautifully. I’ll play around with it some more and post the results next monday with a new model :)

6. Annabelle Scott says: