Categories

Workshop video #04: Bus Blaster v4 solder and assembly

Posted on Thursday, January 19th, 2012 in Bus Blaster, Videos by Ian

Today is the second half of the Bus Blaster v4 workshop video. We solder the board, including two big TQFP chips and a bunch of 0603 passives.

The Bus Blaster is our inexpensive, open source JTAG debugger based on the FTDI FT2232H USB->serial chip.

Bus Blaster v4 adds a support for a new type of ARM debugging protocol (the SVO feature of SWD).  There is absolutely no estimated date of production for the new boards. v2.5 will probably be the only Bus Blaster available for the next year.

Get a Bus Blaster v2 for $34.95.

The new video editing craplication has max 10x speed up, so the time-lapse ran really long. We cut it down a bit because this is a pretty big board.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 19th, 2012 at 4:04 pm and is filed under Bus Blaster, Videos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

8 Responses to “Workshop video #04: Bus Blaster v4 solder and assembly”

1. Frankalicious says:

>Bus Blaster v4 adds a support for a new type of ARM debugging protocol.
    Is there more information available about what protocol you’re talking about?

2. robert says:

I wonder why you get so many bridges… use more flux!

3. FourthDr says:

Ian:

I just got my new hotair station :-) And I noticed you tend to use flux in a syringe. Is the stuff in the syringe better than say a flux pen? Or does it make a difference? Also, I happen to have solder paste stencils that came with the circuit boards for my latest project. Should I just flux and solder by hand or should I use paste solder/flux mix since I have the stencils?

• Ian says:

I like syringe or bottles of “yes” clean flux :) A syringe of flux is much thicker than a pen of no-clean.. I do not like pens at all, I think they are too thin and tend to dry out right away.

Unless you are doing multiples, I don’t see a huge benefit to using a stencil. I have never tried a flux solder mix, but in general I just solder everything with 0.5mm (now 0.3mm) solder.

4. greeeg says:

Ahh lovely to see that sprinkling components like 0603 capacitors all over the board then aligning them later is an industry practice. :P

Very nice work BTW.

5. Aron says:

Really nice work. Would the Bus Blaster be suitable for programing dsp chips from TI?(I want to build a dsp dev board, but don’t want to buy an xds560 or so debugger).