We asked what things you check before sending gerbers to the board house, and what your favorite gerber viewer is. Here is a compilation of your responses:
- Problems with the footprint, the solder pad is sometimes buried by mask.
- Drills outside board or flipped.
- CAM didn’t export expected silkscreen layers.
- Evaluating not only whether a silkscreen is present, but if it’s legable (size, location, etc).
- For the more complicated footprints, its useful for evaluating exactly where masks are applied.
- Quickly seeing whether all of the vias on a board are tented or not.
- On output from older design packages, it was sometimes necessary to double check copper fills, but this generally isn’t a problem with current ECAD packages.
- One last doublecheck to make sure soldermask is on the correct side for the correct component (PCB’s that have components on both sides).