Categories

New Microchip PIC32 chips in DIP packages

Posted on Thursday, November 10th, 2011 in Chips by DP

Here’s a pic of the new 32bit PIC32 microcontroller in a DIY friendly though-hole package. Shaos received a free sample from Microchip and shared this pic in the forum.

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 10th, 2011 at 11:00 am and is filed under Chips. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

9 Responses to “New Microchip PIC32 chips in DIP packages”

1. Drone says:

“Microchip is not alone, NXP is also releasing an 32bit ARM in hobbyist-friendly packaging.”

The correct terminology is “development-friendly packaging”. It is not just hobbyists that are frustrated by parts appearing only in (e.g.) BGA form or with huge solder footprints in the middle of the package. Every Commercial/Industrial Engineer I know of wastes time and/or money by having to either buy over-priced evaluation boards for these development un-friendly packages, or custom build them in-house.

2. Serge says:

PIC32 MX1/MX2 series is now supported by pic32prog, opensource programming utility for PICkit2 adapter. You can use pic32prog on Linux, or Mac, or Windows.

3. L Warren Rogers says:

Gentlemen –

Putting something using powerful in DIP packaging is biiilliant, but I’ve gotten used to
    assembly language. Do you have any PDFs that tell me which register is where and
    how I may access the input & output pins & the reall problems is interrupts and Analog
    input & output. How does this thing handle those things?

L Warren Rogers

• KH says:

Datasheets can be found at Microchip Technology’s website.
      And you should use a C compiler too, MCHP has free versions available for PIC32. Very few people will develop apps in MIPS assembly language. Try maintaining an assembly language app >2000 lines long and you’ll soon stay in C and never go back. Good luck and happy hacking!

4. L Warren Rogers says:

I’m an Electronics Tech person and I’m aware of the ‘C’ vs Assembler arguments, but I’ve used
    ASM for years. I feel comfortable with it and would rather use it, but I have used ‘C’, mixed ‘C’ &
    ASM, Pascal, Forth, PERL, Fortran, MatLab, ABEL, CUPL & Verilog. None of them supports
    interrupts very well and I feel comfortable using them so do you know where I can get a PIC32
    Assembler ?

• KH says:

I believe Microchip’s PIC32 compiler is based on gcc, if so, you can use gas (‘gas’ == GNU assembler) from the accompanying binutils binaries.
      I’ve never had a problem with coding interrupts on any PIC C compilers on any family tree. Just get a simple example working and then you can use that as a rough template for all your code in a part family. A short checklist is also helpful, e.g. remember your volatile variables etc. I cannot think of any way of making writing interrupts in C more simple, it’s already as straightforward as can be.

5. L Warren Rogers says:

OK, I’ve got to admit, I’ve not used ‘C’ as an ISR language before, but I’ve used ‘C’ to (voluntarily)
    do an ASM assignment in ‘C’ (partly documenting what the Professor was doing & partly as a
    challenge). It was a bit awkward in places, but I got the same results at the end of the course
    as if I’d done it in ARM.ASM. Anyway your help is appreciated, but where in the Microchip
    website can I procure a copy of this Assembler ? … and just as importantly, this didn’t originate
    within Microchip so I bet the documentation is a bit different, but can it be downloaded with
    the Assembler’s executable ?

• KH says:

Oh, I cannot tell you where the website is :-) :-) This is the 21 century, finding the website should take 5 seconds. If you’re taking more than 5 seconds, then you’re doing it wrong…

• KH says:

It’s best to get Microchip’s PIC32 C compiler to get at gcc and gas. They have all the correct header files, linker scripts, startup scripts, etc. If you don’t want to do that, then I suppose you can either look for online resources or try doing it by reading the data sheet(s).
      Also, I guess you need to find MIPS assembly resources. The spec documents are heavier reading, it used to be all downloadable if you register on the MIPS website, but I haven’t really checked it since ImgTec took over.