Categories

Testing the Shinyei PPD42NS

Posted on Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 in Arduino, sensors by DP

9323247524_c97d976ce7_o

From the comments on our Arduino dust sensor post,  KH writes:

The sensor can obviously measure dust concentrations, it also has to be placed and set up properly, and it gives useful readings. For hobby users like most of us, obviously calibration to specific or absolute standards will be almost impossible.

More details at Darell Tan’s blog.

Via the comments. Thanks KH!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 at 7:00 pm and is filed under Arduino, sensors. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

5 Responses to “Testing the Shinyei PPD42NS”

1. rumburack says:

Additional reads:

Look into the last chapter to learn what you get for the money: something not useful.

• KH says:

Déjà vu… They must’ve switched the Matrix. Tank! Oh my god… %!@$#%^#$^@^ NO CARRIER

• KH says:

It’s Japanese company with industrial instrumentation products selling a hobby-level module, we should really not expect Shenzhen-level “value for money” *cough* here.
        I’m curious though, if you still think it’s “something not useful”, then would you like to explain your position in detail?

• KH says:

I urge anyone looking at these two blog postings on the Shinyei PPD42NS to read the linked articles and documents and decide for yourself the merits of the product. (Because dissing a product without clear and good reasons is ethically unsound and I prefer not to let that go unchallenged.)

• GotNoTime says:

It seems reasonable enough to me. The module looks like it’ll do what they claim in the datasheet. It isn’t particularly expensive either unless $16 from Seeed is breaking the bank for you. What sort of features are you expecting for your $16?