Categories

MMA7455L accelerometer free PCB build

Posted on Monday, December 10th, 2012 in builds by DP

Fcobcn built a free MMA7455L accelerometer breakout board. The MMA7455L is a 3-axis accelerometer with I2C and SPI interfaces.

If you build a free PCB we’ll send you another one! Blog about it, post a picture on Flicker, whatever – we’ll send you a coupon code for the free PCB drawer.

Get the MMA7455L breakout board for $15 at Seeed Studio.

This entry was posted on Monday, December 10th, 2012 at 11:00 am and is filed under builds. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

6 Responses to “MMA7455L accelerometer free PCB build”

1. Trev says:

Hi.

I was wondering why this board is actually more expensive than the ATX breakout board?

Thanks

Trev

2. Ian says:

Sourcing quality accels is more expensive than the simple parts on the ATX. Soldering and inspecting the LGA chip is also more costly. Our actual cost for this is higher than the ATX, its not just marketing.

• Trev says:

Hi Ian.

Thanks for the reply. It isn’t much money for the board. It’s just crazy when you look at it compared to the ATX board. Amazing to think that little IC causes such difficulty. Was the parts’ spec just too good to pass up? Were there any larger package accels that you considered?

Trev

• Matt says:

Accelerometers do seem to all use LGA style packages. I wonder if this is a mechanical stability issue? You would suspect a leaded package to vibrate more than one secured directly to the board. If that is the case there would be more noise (mechanically coupled) than an LGA. Maybe someone else can chime in.

• Mat says:

I would say its basically just to keep the size as small as possible. If you think what products these are going into, board size matters.

• Zeta says:

The new xtrinsic accelerometers from Freescale MMA84xx come in QFN packages. They are way easier to solder (and properly align) than the MMA7455L’s LGA. But unfortunatelly they only come with I2C rather than I2C and SPI on the MMA74xx.