Open source Bluetooth module firmware

Posted on Friday, October 5th, 2012 in firmware, open source, wireless by the machinegeek

Paul Sokolovsky developed a proof-of-concept open source firmware for common Bluetooth modules based on the CSR BlueCore4 cheapset.

“BlueCore4-Ext is a popular Bluetooth chip used in many Bluetooth modules, some priced below $10. The idea is to create Wireless Sensor/Control Network using these modules, as Bluetooth is really ubiquitous technology nowadays, so any smartphone can be used to provide user UI/control for such network.”

Read more on this project and find code links on Paul’s blog.

Via the contact form.

This entry was posted on Friday, October 5th, 2012 at 12:01 am and is filed under firmware, open source, wireless. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

10 Responses to “Open source Bluetooth module firmware”

1. tuxfool says:

awesome pun

2. Chuckt says:

Where can I get one?

• TiZed says:

DealExtreme has some listed for $6.6, $5.58 for 5+ and 5.48 for 10+. Just search for ‘bluetooth module’. I got five about a month ago and am now working on making a programmer for them out of a chipKIT Uno32.

• Chuckt says:

They are currently out of them because the page is unavailable but they have the more expensive versions.

• Brett says:

search on ebay also – mainly in the $6 area. You’ll find them if you search on HC05 or HC06

3. blueboy says:

Nice idea, but it’s not really ‘firmware’ – it’s a VM application, such as customers are supposed to write.

4. Brett says:

Interesting post because I’ve just looked at this firmware over the past week or so. Not that I know enough to know what to do with this, but the idea is great. I have a couple of HC05’s and HC06’s and wanted a consistent firmware (not the linvor one which seems to me to be less flexible). I saw this post that started my exploration – all quite interesting on such a little device

5. Kevin says:

Very cool. I’ve used a few of these in the past but I’ve never done anything more than change the device name and password. Only problem is I can’t think of a reason to hack them.

• Anand Dhuru says:

Except for being able to use the module’s own I/O lines; imagine, a BT operated embedded product with not other microcontroller!

• Voyager says:

Did anyone succeed in using one of the modules as a BT operated embedded board without any other micro controller ? Would relay be interested.