Categories

Energia: Arduino like IDE for MSP430 MCUs

Posted on Monday, August 20th, 2012 in MSP430 by DP

Energia is a fork of Arduino’s Processing IDE for TI’s MSP430 microcontrollers. Support is also expected for the Olimexino-5510, a TMS430F5510 Arduino like development board.

Via the contact form. Thanks Uwe!

This entry was posted on Monday, August 20th, 2012 at 7:00 pm and is filed under MSP430. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

9 Responses to “Energia: Arduino like IDE for MSP430 MCUs”

1. boz says:

TI and Microchip are seriously going to have to throw some money at these `***ino` clone IDE’s.

Though I’ve not looked at the Energia IDE, I have dabbled with the Pinguino and Maple IDE’s and while noble, these are still nowhere near the stability of the Arduino IDE and the support for newbies on their forums is really quite patchy (“You do it and update the Wiki” – responses are a quick turn off to newbies!).

Schools and colleges (unlike universities) don’t want to be lumbered with highly complex development systems as this is a big turn-off for young kids who want to see instant results. I’m sure if I had to start with gcc+emacs+linux or the Xilinx toolchain as opposed to Sinclair Spectrum Basic I would never have moved into the career I’m in. Arduino provides this early start and support so you can bootstrap yourself up to bigger toolchains as you get more confident.

TI should ensure this gets its full support (as Microchip should do with the Pinguino) or the next generation of engineers will be developing in AVR or ARM.

• Fluffy says:

I too like the original Arduino IDE, but I have to say that the support I’ve gotten for Energia on the 43oh.com forum has been truly great. I’ve used it successfully so far to port a few simple data acquisition sketches from the “real, true” Arduino and with a couple of pin changes to accommodate the differing hardware, these sketches have built and run on OSX, Win 7 and Linux. With a board cost of under $5, reasonably competent CPU in say the 2553, and good forum support, I see this platform becoming really successful in the hobbyist/tinkerer market.

2. Ohayo says:

Hi,

Do you know the Chipkit32 arduino ?
    It is fully compatible with the standard Arduino IDE.
    you can see all details here : http://www.chipkit.org/forum/index.php?&er=t and here : http://www.digilentinc.com/

regards

3. boz says:

Thanks for the tip, I’m always on the look out for a better mouse trap ;-)

Strange I’ve not heard of the Chipkit32 even though I have been working on (8-Bit) PIC’s for several years and own a couple of Digilent FPGA development boards!

I’ll give the forum a read, the hardware looks to be similar the pinguino PIC32 system from Olimex, I wonder if I can just re-flash another boot-loader into it and give it a try…

• Graham says:

Digilent spent time altering the Arduino/Processing IDE to make it multiplatform. There’s already all the hooks in there to fit other processor types in. The Digilent version supports both Arduino and the Uno32/Max32 based stuff.

The biggest issue I’ve encountered is ensuring that libraries don’t make bad assumptions about the underlying hardware.

4. hardcorefs says:

Olimexino-5510, a TMS430F5510 Arduino like development board

Those PCB’s are missing the SPI connectors!!, so no way are they Arduino compat.

5. Gel Banana says:

Great! I can finally try out the lauchpad. I’ve been having problems in getting the Ti official IDE

6. bluehash says:

Nice to see this here. If anyone is interested, Energia has its official forums at 43oh – http://www.43oh.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=38
    I’m sure the group will be more than happy to answer your questions.