Categories

Visualize and analyzing serial data in real time

Posted on Friday, June 22nd, 2012 in open source by DP

SerialChart is an open source Windows app for charting incoming data over the serial port in real time.

The incoming data should be in CSV format, with each point on a separate line. The first value in the data stream should be the horizontal coordinate, a comma, then the vertical coordinates and a line feed.

Via Electronics-Lab.

This entry was posted on Friday, June 22nd, 2012 at 7:00 pm and is filed under open source. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

12 Responses to “Visualize and analyzing serial data in real time”

1. Willemite says:

Exactly what I have been looking for! Sure beats capturing in terminal, pastin into excel and plotting.

2. JBeale says:

Are you aware of KST? Open source, cross-platform (I have only used it on WinXP) and very powerful functions. The UI takes a bit of getting used to it, but I use it every day at work and it is great. It can also do real-time plotting from a CSV file being updated. http://kst-plot.kde.org/

• LA says:

This also looks interesting. I was about to comment on it needing KDE, but then in the small print it says it can also run without it. Even better!

• JBeale says:

Yes, self-contained and I installed it like any other Windows app, did not need to know anything about KDE. Did need to learn the somewhat quirky UI. But it does a lot of stuff, that Excel would completely choke on. Plotting a million data points- no problem!

• Kris Lee says:

Does the KST support also plotting real time data coming over serial?

• James Churchill says:

It seems the accepted way to do this is to pipe the serial data to a file, then point Kst at it – it updates as the file changes.

3. Igor says:

Superior tool!
    Used it today for 24bit ADC signal visualisation. Perfectly visualize all horible noise coming from high res. ADC :-)

4. ultrasounder says:

Buy this man a beer. Can I donate to his favorite charity? Fills my immediateneed.

5. James Churchill says:

It doesn’t seem to like high-numbered serial ports. Apart from that, it looks like a nice tool for fast data graphing, although now that I’ve seen Kst I’ll probably go with that.

6. 7 says:

KST looks awesome! thanks for sharing

7. com says:

My csv signal graph viewer might be also useful:

but only for offline data.