McZ and rsdio tipped us to a bunch of new and wonderful voltage regulator chips. Tiny regulators, high current regulators, and high voltage regulators.
- TPS84620: 4.5V to 14.5V input, 6A switching regulator needs only three external parts
- MAX15040: 2.4V to 3.6V input, 4A switching regulator is the smallest yet
- MAX15050/MAX15051: 2.9V to 5.5V input, 4A switching regulator
- TPS7A4001 100V input, 50mA very high voltage linear regulator
Details follow below the fold.
The TPS84620RUQ is an easy-to-use integrated power solution that combines a 6-A DC/DC converter with power MOSFETs, an inductor, and passives into a low profile, BQFN package. This total power solution allows as few as 3 external components and eliminates the loop compensation and magnetics part selection process.
The 9×15×2.8 mm BQFN package is easy to solder onto a printed circuit board and allows a compact point-of-load design with greater than 90% efficiency and excellent power dissipation with a thermal impedance of 13°C/W junction to ambient. The device delivers the full 6-A rated output current at 85°C ambient temperature without airflow.
The TPS84620 offers the flexibility and the feature-set of a discrete point-of-load design and is ideal for powering performance DSPs and FPGAs.
Next up we have a pair of tiny switching regulators with an impressive 4A output. MAX15040: 2.4V to 3.6V input, 4A switching regulator:
MAX15040, a low-voltage (2.4V to 3.6V), synchronous switching regulator in a 2mm x 2mm wafer-level package (WLP). This miniature step-down regulator integrates MOSFETs to simplify design, minimize EMI, improve reliability, and save board space. The MAX15040 operates from a fixed 1MHz switching frequency to further reduce total solution size, as it allows all-ceramic-capacitor designs. Offering efficiencies up to 94% at full load current (4A), this point-of-load regulator minimizes power loss in applications such as telecom, networking, and server equipment.
Here’s a higher-voltage version. MAX15050/MAX15051: 2.9V to 5.5V input, 4A switching regulator:
MAX15050/MAX15051, low-voltage (2.9V to 5.5V), 4A, synchronous DC-DC regulators in a 2mm x 2mm wafer-level package (WLP). These tiny step-down regulators integrate MOSFETs to simplify design, minimize EMI, and save board space. Operation from a fixed 1MHz switching frequency further reduces total solution size, allowing all-ceramic-capacitor designs. Offering peak efficiencies up to 96%, these point-of-load converters minimize power losses in applications ranging from portable devices to networking equipment.
• Wide Input Voltage Range: 7V to 100V
• Maximum Output Current: 50mA
• CMOS Logic-Level-Compatible Enable Pin
• Adjustable Output Voltage from ~1.175V to 90V
• Stable with Ceramic Capacitors:
– Input Capacitance: ≥ 1μF
– Output Capacitance: ≥ 4.7μF
• Dropout Voltage: 290mV
• Built-In Current-Limit and Thermal Shutdown Protection
• Package: High Thermal Performance MSOP-8 PowerPAD
Thanks rsdio & MichaelZ!