Posted on Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 in components, new parts, parts by Sjaak
We are constantly developing prototypes, so we end up with a large pile of unused components. When we moved to a new location we realized some components sat untouched since the previous move.
A while ago we read about the The Great Internet Migratory Box Of Electronics Junk and decided this was a perfect way to finally get rid of these ‘old’ components without sending them to the landfill. Ian packed a bunch of stuff into a box and passed it to Sjaak. He’ll take something out, put something in, and send it to someone else.
A quick glance into the Box revealed the following items:
- Some signed-by-Ian original prototypes, including some pic programmers, boards featured on Hack a Day, and some Bus Pirate prototypes
- SMD resistors, capacitors, LEDs, and more
- Lots of through hole LEDs and resistors
- Some freebies from various suppliers
We quickly came up with some best practices for sending the box:
- Take the parts out you can really can use
- Replace them with parts you can’t use, please try to avoid too many pulled passives like old resistors and capacitors
- Send the box to the next person within a week
- Post a picture of what you got out of it, and a small description what you are planning to do with
- Please no addresses in the forum to protect privacy. Please use the forum PM system for this
- We’re starting with a few dozen active forum members to see how far it will get. After that, it’ll be open to the public!
There are some people who already applied in the forum. If you are interested and want to be part of the ‘Big Box of Traveling Parts’, head over to the forum now.
This entry was posted
on Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 at 1:00 pm and is filed under components
, new parts
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0
You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.