The SEG Electronics Market in Shenzhen is definitely bigger, but Akihabara is a lot easier to get to. We can visit Japan with just a passport, but Americans need a $200 visa to visit SEG in China.
If you want to visit Akihabara on your own, this Akihabara Google Map layer will help you find everything. Add it to Google Maps on your phone before you go.
We would like to thank Tokyo Hacker Space, Tayken, Akiba from Freaklabs.org, Richard, and Jud for showing us around Akihabara. Be sure to check out the Tokyo Hacker Space in-depth tour of Akihabara too.
- Tokyo Akihabara Electric Town tour
- Our score from the Akihabara Electric Town tour
- Tool and equipment shops at Akihabara Electric Town tour
- Part shops in the maze on the Akihabara Electric Town tour
- Parts shops on the street on Akihabara Electric Town tour
- LED shops on Akihabara Electric Town tour
- Retro gaming on Akihabara Electric Town tour
- Strange and unclassified on Akihabara Electric Town tour
A list of the shops we visited and links are below the fold.
- Akihabara Radio Center (the maze, located right outside the train station) – Too many shops here to list. This is a winding maze of small stands with electronic parts, tools, LED shops, etc.
- Corner Store – We buy VFD tubes here. They also have solar panels, motors of all sizes, more (actual name unknown)
- Super Junk – Surface mount and through-hole electronic components.
- Akiba LED, others – Reels of LEDs, LED strips, LED accessories. One of many LED stores in Akihabara.
- Sengoku – All purpose electronic store with many types of flux, solder, soldering iron tips, breakout boards, test clips, etc.
- Kyushu Jangara Ramen – The Akihabara location of this famous ramen shop is a great place to have lunch. We got the mix of chicken, pork, and beef stock.
- Keisokuki Land – New and used test equipment.
- Super Potato – 3 floors of retro gaming. Arcade on the top floor, lower floors have old cartridges and consoles.
- Rocket Radio – Ham radios, antennas, etc.
- Akizukidenshi – Bags of parts and kits. Surface mount resistors, chips, etc. Tayken’s favorite shop.
- Aitendo – LCD, TFT, OLED display store. Breakout boards for tiny display connectors. Some other odds and ends.
- Nishikawa Parts – All types of screws, stand-offs, tools.