Categories

Bus Pirate: Major UART fix

Posted on Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 in Bus Pirate by Ian

uart-sl

There was a major bug in the speed setting code for all libraries. At some point the speed variable was reduced to a single bit, so only the first two speed settings in any library worked correctly. This had an especially noticeable impact on the UART library.

Since this is a major issue, we’ve made a v2.3 preview release for all hardware. This is a recommended upgrade for anyone with speed setting problems. V2.3 will be released soon.

Other major changes in v2.3 include a transparent UART bridge for a simple serial->USB mode. There’s two new raw IO modes for bitbanging and SPI. The bitbang mode uses a simple 8bit/byte protocol to control the Bus Pirate pins and functions directly from a PC program. The SPI mode provides a fast, raw SPI connection for integrating the Bus Pirate with AVR ISP programming software. These features will be documented in posts over the next few days.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 at 10:55 am and is filed under Bus Pirate. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

6 Responses to “Bus Pirate: Major UART fix”

1. ninjabong says:

2.3 doesn’t seem to work properly on my v2go (B4) from the preorder – everything seems to flash fine but I’m not getting any response in my terminal though I can see the USB activity LED flash when I hit a key. Used the P24PQ.py programmer under OSX, going back to 2.2 worked fine so will hold off for a later release.

2. Ian says:

Huh, I just tested it on a b4 2go without a problem. Did you bootload the file “v25-Firmware-v2.3.hex”? V2go is called v25 in the code.

• ninjabong says:

yeah I used the same method I’ve used to do 2.1 and 2.2 on both my v2go (v25) and my PTH (v1a), so for this one : ‘python P24qp.py -a v25-Firmware-v2.3.hex -s /dev/cu.usbserial-A7004Iqz -v’

going back to 2.2 worked fine, even tried reflashing 2.3 again with same results of the usb comm LED flashing appropriately not no feedback on my local term. noticed a newer 2.3 build from this AM so tried that, and again same results.

then ZTerm crashed horribly taking OS X’s windowserver with it. so logged back in and instead of messing with ZTerm I used plain old screen with : ‘screen /dev/tty.usbserial-A7004Iqz 115200’ and low and behold there IS terminal output.

so it’s something specific to changes in v2.3 that has broken comms with ZTerm @ 115200bps, at least with my v2go hardware, will try flashing my PTH v1a later with 2.3 and see if the same thing happens.

3. Ian says:

Is your terminal sending a null character (0x00) to the Bus Pirate for some reason? That would put it into the new binary IO mode. To check, send 0x00 or 0x01 and see if you get BBIO1 or SPI1.

4. Ian says:

I just tested v2.3 on both my v2go Bus Pirates and didn’t have a problem with the windows updater and Tera Term. I think there is a problem with some terminals putting the Bus Pirate into its new binary IO mode.

5. Ian says:

Could you please test this update. I crippled the new binary mode to see if that was the problem: