Skip to main content
Topic: New Arduinos - Arduino Uno and Arduino Mega 2560 - no more FT232R!!!!! (Read 18930 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Arduinos - Arduino Uno and Arduino Mega 2560 - no more FT232R!!!!!

Reply #15
Before ordering an embed look at the new LPCXpresso LPC1768 Board (OM13000) ! It comes with everything the mbed has (even a PHY) plus a JTAG interface you can use with all LPC1xxx. From Code Red you can download their ARM toolchain for free and don't have to rely on the web-based mbed toolchain!

For less than $ 30 ($29.95 @ Future Electronics) you get far more than for the $ 59 you pay for the LPC1768 mbed ;)

Hint: Apply for the NXP mbed Design Challenge and get a free mbed LPC1768 ;)

uhhh, I think I am a bit off topic now ... anyone interested in discussing mbed and/or LPCXpresso (or maybe STM32VLDISCOVERY - less than $ 10 ;), please start a new thread!

Reply #16
[quote author="tayken"]I think after all these years of staying away from Arduino, it is time for me to get at least the Arduino Uno board. For quick prototyping stuff. And also an mBed maybe and... (the list goes on)[/quote]Careful before you jump: I ended up buying the DeVaSys EZ-USB USBI2CIO board after a long period of it being unavailable, and then I never used it!

I liked it so much on the first project where I used it that I regretted having to return it to my client at the end of the project.  But later, once I finally had my very own DeVaSys, I found that I had moved on to PIC and found the EZ-USB too limited in what it can do in the USB world.  I don't think that I've even broken the seal on the anti-static package!

I'm only half-serious, though.  If you want a Uno, then go ahead.  But just realize that there might be a better design around the corner (e.g. a single-AVR USB variant).

Reply #17
[quote author="IPenguin"]
Before ordering an embed look at the new LPCXpresso LPC1768 Board (OM13000) ! It comes with everything the mbed has (even a PHY) plus a JTAG interface you can use with all LPC1xxx. From Code Red you can download their ARM toolchain for free and don't have to rely on the web-based mbed toolchain!

For less than $ 30 ($29.95 @ Future Electronics) you get far more than for the $ 59 you pay for the LPC1768 mbed ;)

Hint: Apply for the NXP mbed Design Challenge and get a free mbed LPC1768 ;)

uhhh, I think I am a bit off topic now ... anyone interested in discussing mbed and/or LPCXpresso (or maybe STM32VLDISCOVERY - less than $ 10 ;), please start a new thread!

[/quote]
I checked it couple of weeks ago, they were out of free boards, but I'll think about LPCXpresso. The reason I stated mbed was I saw it in an electronics shop in Akihabara and it was pretty cheap at first glance.

[quote author="rsdio"]
Careful before you jump: I ended up buying the DeVaSys EZ-USB USBI2CIO board after a long period of it being unavailable, and then I never used it!

I liked it so much on the first project where I used it that I regretted having to return it to my client at the end of the project.  But later, once I finally had my very own DeVaSys, I found that I had moved on to PIC and found the EZ-USB too limited in what it can do in the USB world.  I don't think that I've even broken the seal on the anti-static package!

I'm only half-serious, though.  If you want a Uno, then go ahead.  But just realize that there might be a better design around the corner (e.g. a single-AVR USB variant).
[/quote]
It is always possible. After I got a SuBoard II (a PIC 18F4550 development board developed at my old university) after many years of TA work they redesigned the board with more features. There will always be something better in the future. :)

Reply #18
I have split the last two posts of this topic as it continued to drift further away from the original subject.
Cortex-M3 based Arduino form factor platforms and IDEs for them based on the original Arduino IDE are
a very interesting subject of their own:

ARM Cortex-M3 based Arduino Boards and IDE

Reply #19
Thanks for splitting the topic. All the different arduino-alikes are interesting.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.