Skip to main content
Topic: Minimum external slot size? (Read 1273 times) previous topic - next topic

Minimum external slot size?

Internal slot size capability is listed as 0.8mm, but what about tiny slots in a board outline?  I have some 1.59mm deep, .53mm and .79mm slots on the outer edge of this small board as pictured below.  Does this violate any rules/capabilities?  Should I just send it in, and hope they are accepted and arrive as expected?
Thanks in advance--

Re: Minimum external slot size?

Reply #1
slots needs to at least 0.8mm and drawn into the dimension layer. it doesn't matter if they are internal or not as they are done with the same tool.

As a general advise I wouldn't seek the boundaries of their capabilities if you can.

Reply #2
Shoot, this will be a problem then.  I wonder if perhaps the 4 layer board house would be capable of smaller slots?  I fully realize it would be more expensive to send these in as a four layer board but the 6 slimmer slots really do need to be smaller than 0.8mm as it is for a mechanical assembly and shims would not really be a possibility.

Reply #3
0.8mm seems to be quite standard, much like the 80mm minimum vgroove - it has to do with the tools that are in common use in the industry.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #4
In looking around a bit, this indeed seems to be the case.  Looks like I'll probably need to find someplace that can laser cut as opposed to conventional milling for this one.
Thank you both very much for your comments!

Reply #5
may i ask what you need a .53mm slot for?

A quick search of my desk with a set of calipers turned up only the tip of a thumb tack comes close to .53mm.

Reply #6
This piece is linking the blades of a four pole over-center leaf type snap switch together, the blades being .24mm thick.  Slots of .8mm would result in quite a bit of slop, which I may just have to try and possibly live with. 
This is a repair part, not feasible to redesign the switch. 
Attached is a photo of a 3-pole version.