Skip to main content
Topic: Really universal soldering controller (Read 817793 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Reply #2040
ok, I managed to thread thin copper wire through the vias and thus connect Q2 and Q8 to the back of the board. Result: I measure 3.3V and -600mV at J3. Yay!

So, next up is to replace Q1, R8 and R18. Just curious: What do R8 and R18 influence?

Reply #2041
[quote author="Doomedahab"]ok, I managed to thread thin copper wire through the vias and thus connect Q2 and Q8 to the back of the board. Result: I measure 3.3V and -600mV at J3. Yay!

So, next up is to replace Q1, R8 and R18. Just curious: What do R8 and R18 influence?[/quote]

you have bipolar transistor, it influence over the R8, the same as,  R8 over the transistor, just change the probe places and measure again. With your knowledge,  I would try to touch the board as less as I can. I am surprised that you can work so good with iron.

Reply #2042
Yes, correct again, switching poles I measure 28.9M,  thanks Minkok!

About not touching the board as much as I can: That is probably the best advice lol! But where's the fun in that? Let's wait and see if I can get a functional soldering station with this board's help. I mean, if I can do it that would mean anyone could ;-)

Reply #2043
I'm at the moment building my own Unisolder station and I finished the soldering and connection of the PCBs so far. Also I was able to flash the PIC32MX by using pickle and the GPIOs of a Raspberry Pi. But in order to facilitate things I bought a fnished SH1106 OLED SPI Module from eBay, like the ones you normally use for Arduinos and stuff like that.

When I now power up the PCBs the OLED is not working (or not showing anything). Is there any easy way to debug this situation without an oscilloscope or other expensive equipment?

Since I was able to flash the appropriate firmware which I found somewhere in the middle of this threat and I bridged all the necessary pads on the front PCB in order to get the signals from the PIC to the pins of the 7 segment displays and I can measure 3.3V between the two pins for the energy supply of the OLED, I think it should show at least something.

Best regards

Reply #2044
max0o, firmware expects display with external VCC supply. If you're using generic module, which uses internal charge pump, you should change display initialization code. It is commented, so you easily find what to change. But of course you have to recompile the code using MPLAB X.

Reply #2045
I have built my Unisolder and now I have problem with calibration.
I plugged 10 Ohm resistor to Vout1- and SENSEA. In calibration menu ADC and R are 0 regardless of the potentiometer settings. Only when I set CURRENT to 256 ADC is 1023 and R is 6362. Any ideas what is going wrong?

Reply #2046
[quote author="michalgaska"]Any ideas what is going wrong?[/quote]
Reset current to 128 and do some measurements:
U14:2 2.1V
U12A:3 2.7V
current through calibration resistor ~380uA, so, voltage drop on it 3.8mV
U16A:2 3.8mV
U18B:5 3.8mV
U18A:3 0V
U13A:1 106mV
U17:3 53mV
U17:6 1.5V
Readings may have some flickering due to tool detection algorithm.

Reply #2047
Thank you.
I have solved it. I had soldering issue.
After calibration my Unisolder works fine with ERSA RT80 :)

Reply #2048
[quote author="afedorov"]max0o, firmware expects display with external VCC supply. If you're using generic module, which uses internal charge pump, you should change display initialization code. It is commented, so you easily find what to change. But of course you have to recompile the code using MPLAB X.[/quote]

Hi afedorov,

thanks for the hint, I wasn't aware that the charge pump might be an issue. Since I'm not much of a software guy: All I have to do is to change "0x8D, 0x10, //disable charge pump" to "0x8D, 0x14," in OLED.c and get hold on this XC32 v1.33 compiler, right?

Best regards

Reply #2049
Does anyone have working 3D models?

Reply #2050
max0o, since you're using SH1106 module, first of all you'll have to apply the patch from page 111. Then, in case of complete patch, in block #ifdef DISP_SH1106 of OLED.c change 0xAD,0x8A to 0xAD,0x8B. Next, change the build profile to the one having _SH1106 suffix (depending of desired firmware type - standalone or bootloader). Rebuild and flash.

Reply #2051
[quote author="michalgaska"]Does anyone have working 3D models?[/quote]
What kind of models? PCBs? There are some on page 120.

Reply #2052
[quote author="afedorov"]max0o, since you're using SH1106 module, first of all you'll have to apply the patch from page 111. Then, in case of complete patch, in block #ifdef DISP_SH1106 of OLED.c change 0xAD,0x8A to 0xAD,0x8B. Next, change the build profile to the one having _SH1106 suffix (depending of desired firmware type - standalone or bootloader). Rebuild and flash.[/quote]

Hi afedorov,

thanks for your help! It took me quite some time today to get everything running, but I was able to change the software accordingly and flash the resulting hex file. The OLED is now indeed working, but unfortunately I'm stuck now with the error code 13. If I see this right in the source code, this means that the PIC is not able to enable I2C 4 since it would show at least "14",  if it would work, am I right?

Code: [Select]
DmaEnable(1);
OLEDPrintNum816(0, 0, 2, 13);
OLEDUpdate();

I2CEnable(I2C4, FALSE);
OLEDPrintNum816(0, 0, 2, 14);

I found that that might be related to R63 and 65 mounted in the wrong direction, but that is definitely right. Do you have any suggestion what could be wrong?

Best regards

Edit: There is a slight chance that I fried R53 while trying to resolder all connections in this area due to possible problems, might that be the case?

Reply #2053
max0o, measure voltages on SDA/SCL. Probably it is pulled low by some device on the bus or pull-up is absent. Or maybe soldering issue of the microcontroller.
R53 doesn't have any relation to I2C, but it is important one in the analog circuitry. You'd better to have it in a good shape.

Reply #2054
Okay, if I have to analyze the bus, I'll check that next week, since I may have access to an oscilloscope then.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate that.