Skip to main content
Topic: Cost-effective European parts suppliers for small quanties (Read 5112 times) previous topic - next topic

Cost-effective European parts suppliers for small quanties

Hi,

I'm trying to find a comprehensive supplier for small quantities of electronics components who will deliver to Europe (Spain) without crazy shipping and handling costs.

I've been using a combination of Ebay, Aliexpress and other smaller suppliers such as;
Lawicel : http://www.lawicel-shop.se
Watterott : http://www.watterott.com
NKC : http://store.nkcelectronics.com
Stellatech : http://stellatech.com

All of whom are great for what they have, and have reasonable prices for both the parts and the delivery.
What they don't have is an extensive range which means you have to take what you can get rather than being able to find a specific part.

I keep coming back to the likes of Mouser, Farnell, Digikey etc.
They have a fantastic range of parts of course, but unless you're spending 100's of euros the cost of shipping and handling seems to far outweigh the cost of the actual components.

For example; I really like the look of some Bourns rotary encoders with built in RGB LED. I'd like to grab 5 to play around with.
The code is : BOURNS - PEL12T-4226F-S1024

Element 14 has them for 5,57EUR each + TAX + 18EUR Handling + 9 EUR Shipping.
That's 64.48EUR in total... Crazy.

Digikey has them for 5.57EUR each + TAX + 18EUR Shipping.
= 55.48EUR

Mouser has them for 4,33 each + TAX + 20EUR Shipping which is better but still nearly double the cost of the parts.

Obviously all these big guys are not really interested in selling tiny quantities of bits and bobs to the likes of me. I understand that but it's really frustrating when you have a particular part in mind that isn't available in the more hobby-friendly places.

So. My question is what do you guys do when trying to get your hands on small quantities of specific part?

Do you use the big guys and save up a big order of parts to offset the cost of S+H or do you have other secret places?

Cheers.
Matt

Re: Cost-effective European parts suppliers for small quanti

Reply #1
I usually wait to have a long list. I also tell people from my hackerspace that I'll be ordering and they can ask for parts. I usually aim for the free shipping price and try to reach that.

Reply #2
The few times i have bought from Mouser, I have filled up to $100, then you have free shipping. I also buy more than i need, since for some components, the prices changes drastically on one-by-one prices compared to say 50 or 100.
And then one can add the one-offs.. (building a list now so i can buy the stm32 nucleo stuff.. )

But, free shipping, gives me tax, all orders abowe $30 gives me 25% tax, so it would have been nice if one could buy small quantities with low shipping, as people in US can do from DigiKey etc..

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies.

It's annoying isn't it to read about people in the US making tiny spurious orders from DigiKey and the like. I'm always thinking "Yeah great for you, that's 20EUR in shipping alone for me..."

But on the plus side and as an update. I've just found that RS offers free delivery to courier depot locations within big cities.
Lucky for me Barcelona has a couple of these that are fairly close to me.  Unfortunatly the don't stock exactly what I want, but at least that's an option I didn't know I had.

Reply #4
Add Tayda to the list. The have a nice assortment, delivery time similar to all the far east sellers (3 to 5 weeks to Spain). They are in Thailand, and the packaging and labeling is far better than the usual eBay sellers.

If you plan to make a big purchase from Farnell or one of the other big sites, contact me, I live close to you. (Sant Boi), and there are the odd components I can only find there.

Reply #5
Hi Baldor, Thanks for the Tayda link.  They have some nice 9mm pots that look good.
I really want some of those encoders so I'm thinking of doing a Mouser order.
Let me know what it is you're after and I can drop them in if I go ahead.

Reply #6
http://www.rapidonline.com/ (UK) have a good selection and free shipping over 35 GBP.

Before I discovered Tayda I used Futurlec, but their delivery is very slow.

Reply #7
Hey.. More people near Barcelona, so we can make collective purchases to offset shipping costs? :-)

Reply #8
I've recently started buying stuff on amazon.co.uk (even though the actual items are sent from china). I got some really good offers in the past few weeks and have been impressed with the quality and speed that a lot of these things arrive at. I do have prime anyways and if I need something quickly I can get it next day even though the "normal" senders are usually a lot cheaper.

Reply #9
I also recommend Rapid Electronics. Been using them for over 25-years. They're pretty cheap for passives and connectors.
Tony