Skip to main content
Topic: new GPS GNSS Receiver for $17 - NavSpark (Read 4630 times) previous topic - next topic

new GPS GNSS Receiver for $17 - NavSpark

I don't have any connection to this indiegogo campaign and I don't know if they can deliver what they are promising. But I hope they can, because a 32-bit Arduino + GPS engine for $17 is quite interesting, and a pair of carrier-phase raw pseudorange output receivers for $50 is even more interesting (this allow DGPS or RTK using RTKLIB with cm-level precision in theory).  Very good for precise positioning of your autonomous vehicle / quadcopter / etc.  I'm not aware of anything comparable on the market now. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/navsp ... s-receiver

EDIT: Update- now I do have some connection in that I put down some money as a supporter, in hopes they will make this product.  Also, there are several versions; one provides GPS + GLONASS, another GPS + Beidou. The raw-output version is so far only GPS though.  The 32-bit CPU is not an ARM, it's an open-IP implementation of the SPARCv8 architecture.

Re: new GPS GNSS Receiver for $17 - NavSpark

Reply #1
I wasn't sure if it was too good to be true, but I've been encouraged by the responsiveness of the NavSpark project person Oliver Huang on the indiegogo comments forum.  He seems to be technically competent and also paying close attention. This is being done from within the GPS chip company SkyTraq which has some devices on the market like the Venus638 GPS that Sparkfun sells, so it's not coming out of nowhere.

Reply #2
why doesn't it support both glonass and beidou?  Chipsets don't do it yet?  If not, why one over the other?

Reply #3
Apparently the RF part of the chipset they are using does not support both at the same time, at least not with optimal SNR so they had to choose one or the other with any given set of hardware. That is my understanding anyway.  I don't think there are many receivers that support all three GPS + Glonass + Beidou at the same time, at least on the "really cheap" end of the GPS scale.

Doesn't matter much to me personally at the moment, as no Beidou sat is ever above the horizon at my location in North America.  Lack of a market outside of Asia may be limiting the speed at which people design new chips for all three systems.

Glonass capability is an advantage worldwide if you have a limited sky view, and I think it actually performs better than GPS at high latitudes due to the different satellite orbits.  If you are more towards the equator and also have a clear view of the sky down to the horizon, I think right now GPS has superior accuracy and Glonass doesn't add much to it.

According to  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS there are planned improvements to Glonass that will result in considerably improved accuracy (down to 0.6 m) by 2020, although that will no doubt also require a new generation of receiver to make use of.

Reply #4
So you don't need to piece together the scattered info in the comments section on the Indiegogo website, I made my own unofficial NavSpark FAQ, here:  http://pastebin.com/1f5iXwiT

This is just pieced together from what Oliver Huang from SkyTraq posted in the NavSpark page comments. Note, I'm not affiliated with the SkyTraq company myself, so the FAQ is not authoritative and may have errors.