Skip to main content
Topic: Sure's Temperature & Relative Humidity Sensor Module (Read 3696 times) previous topic - next topic

Sure's Temperature & Relative Humidity Sensor Module

Temperature and Relative Humidity Sensor Module  -  $12.00

A perfect PIC16F690-HS1101-based humidity and temperature module that can be used in many applications to meausre temperature and relative humidity.

Please make sure the CS pin has been set at high level in UART mode. And the baud rate is 9600 bps. If you want to learn more:

http://www.sure-electronics.net/download/index.php?name=DC-SS500&type=0

Re: Sure's Temperature & Relative Humidity Sensor Module

Reply #1
I assume this is not open source or open hardware...
The HS1101LF data sheet shows a circuit with a 555 timer, which is visible in your photo.  I assume, then, that the PIC16F690 is used to measure the frequency of the 555 timer output, which is proportional to the capacitance of the humidity sensor.
U3, which I can't quite make out, is probably one of those many temperature sensor chips, and probably interfaces to the PIC via I2C or SPI.
Do you have any details on the circuit or firmware?
Personally, I don't like the simple 9600 baud UART interface, but the alternate SPI interface looks promising.

Reply #2
What a great idea, 555s can do anything!
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #3
Interfacing with a SURE DC-SS500 Tem & RH Module

Successful implementation of the serial interface with the DC-SS5500.

http://www.phanderson.com/arduino/ss500_1.html

Humidity Sensor DC-SS500 - Testing

Unsuccesful test to read the DC-SS500 via SPI interface.

http://www.kramer-home.de/humidity-sensor-dc-ss500.html

Reply #4
[quote author="ian"]
What a great idea, 555s can do anything!
[/quote]

I feel a 555 competition coming up ?! ;)

Reply #5
I think Sure's module is a bit of an overkill ... there are plenty application examples for the Humriel HS1101 chip on the web ... and Sure doesn't reveal much more about the details of their module than the interface, so their design seems to follow Humriel's application example. Sure emphasizes that many of their modules are evaluation boards/samples for demonstration purposes ... I'd expect they'd make the schematics and the code available ...

For humidity sensing I like Sensirion's digital sensors, so they use a proprietary, slightly modified I[sup:]2[/sup:]C interface ... for licensing reasons.

Reply #6
[quote author="IPenguin"] ... there are plenty application examples for the Humriel HS1101 chip on the web ... [/quote]Thanks for the link. I found a data sheet at Measurement Specialties for the HS1101LF. The Humirel sheet must be the original, because the Meas-Spec sheet copies the text without renaming the resistor to match their altered schematic (oops!). Look at R3 in both.

For humidity sensing I like Sensirion's digital sensors, so they use a proprietary, slightly modified I[sup:]2[/sup:]C interface ... for licensing reasons.
Thanks!