Skip to main content
Topic: Re: New sensors make Kelly Drive speedsters stop at red (Read 2542 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New sensors make Kelly Drive speedsters stop at red

[quote author="Chuckt"]Why $11,000?  Can't we do this cheaper with Arduino?[/quote]

You prolly can, and my guess the hardware is comparable to it. However I dunno where Kelly drive is but the equipment needs to be ruggedized, ie withstand a big temperature range, moist, vibrations etc. Also the equipment needs to be built in: the detectionloops needs to carved into the asphalt, the traffic lights needs to be modified. Also the system needs to be secure which needs to be tested and evaluated (costs time).

Assuming an engineer costs around 500$/day, after 20 days (lets say a month) and a couple of materials the 11K is already spend.

Reply #1
[quote author="Chuckt"]
Does this mean that speeders will start going through red lights?[/quote]

Or they program it so that it goes red so it's too late to stop w/o being rearended and station cops at the intersection.

I read an article a while back by someone who said some lights are programmed w/ very short yellows so that the can get more revenue.  I like Toronto's traffic grid.  The lights are all consistent and you can see the countdown to red so you know if you can make it or not.

Reply #2
perhaps this tech will be mated with red light cams, imagine how-many tickets could be issued by computers programmed with sticks up their asses.

it should be easy to fight a summons from these intersections, i'm pretty sure amber lights of varying lengths constitutes as entrapment.