Skip to main content
Topic: uCAN: A protocol stack for microcontroller networking (Read 135280 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: uCAN: A protocol stack for microcontroller networking

Reply #315
the microcontroller you linked to in your first post have an unique id:

"Unique device serial number for identification"

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontro ... FBD48.html

Or is it an id chip on that board?

Reply #316
[quote author="neslekkim"]the microcontroller you linked to in your first post have an unique id:

"Unique device serial number for identification"

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontro ... FBD48.html

Or is it an id chip on that board?[/quote]

Indeed it does. I'm working with it at the moment as I expand the uCAN libraries. The onboard ID is 128 bits, though, which means that it has to use the 1/1 scheme: hashing the ID into 55 bits and hoping* they don't collide.

* It's a pretty good hope, to be fair. With a maximum of 255 nodes, there are 255 * 254 = 64,770 possible collisions; dividing 2^55 by that gives us a chance of 1 in 560,000,000,000 that any fully populated uCAN network will suffer from a hash collision.

Reply #317
[quote author="nickjohnson"][quote author="Sjaak"]I recently bought an TL866 programmer on ebay. This software has an automatical serial number generator and does support some uC PICs.

Random link to the tl866 programmer here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-MiniPro-TL8 ... 337a236a5b

Just a side note.[/quote]

Very nice! Assuming the serial number length is flexible, that will work well with the PEN-based numbering scheme.[/quote]

You can use the ID location or a position in memory. From the top of my head you can choose between various date-time formats, random number and sequential.

Edit: You can also provide a custom .dll which provide a custom serial function.

Reply #318
*Update - Things ticking along here, just received some boards back ready to assemble and play with. The top ones are uCan slices and the the lower ones are open energy controller SDK/eval board which will also sport uCan ports. Both of these are Xmos focused and will allow me to start developing the stack for that platform. I am still waiting for components to populate though so its's going to be a while before I have anything to show.

[attachment=0]

Regards
Al

Reply #319
[quote author="Folknology"]*Update - Things ticking along here, just received some boards back ready to assemble and play with. The top ones are uCan slices and the the lower ones are open energy controller SDK/eval board which will also sport uCan ports. Both of these are Xmos focused and will allow me to start developing the stack for that platform. I am still waiting for components to populate though so its's going to be a while before I have anything to show.[/quote]

Nice! It's really awesome to see some new uCAN designs!

Would you find it useful to have some other uCAN hardware to connect and test with?

Reply #320
[quote author="nickjohnson"][quote author="Folknology"]*Update - Things ticking along here, just received some boards back ready to assemble and play with. The top ones are uCan slices and the the lower ones are open energy controller SDK/eval board which will also sport uCan ports. Both of these are Xmos focused and will allow me to start developing the stack for that platform. I am still waiting for components to populate though so its's going to be a while before I have anything to show.[/quote]

Would you find it useful to have some other uCAN hardware to connect and test with?[/quote]

Hi Nick thanks and yes some hardware to test it against/with would be rather handy. In fact I was thinking about this the other day what we need is a reference platform against which all other uCan devices can be tested. The most logical solution to me is a Raspbery Pi based uCan implementation (like yours for example) having Linux would really help with building tests suites/rigs/mocks etc.. If we go this route the RPi version should also be the version with the most up to date and stable stack (/me hopes this isn't contradictory).

I certainly have a few RPi's around here would just need one of your uCan boards, of course you are also welcome to any of my boards in return. I also extend this to others on the forum that would like to work on the Xmos side of the stack I have several uCan slice boards I can spare for those interested (you would need an Xmos startkit or Slicekit to use it obviously).

regards
Al

Reply #321
[quote author="Folknology"][quote author="nickjohnson"][quote author="Folknology"]*Update - Things ticking along here, just received some boards back ready to assemble and play with. The top ones are uCan slices and the the lower ones are open energy controller SDK/eval board which will also sport uCan ports. Both of these are Xmos focused and will allow me to start developing the stack for that platform. I am still waiting for components to populate though so its's going to be a while before I have anything to show.[/quote]

Would you find it useful to have some other uCAN hardware to connect and test with?[/quote]

Hi Nick thanks and yes some hardware to test it against/with would be rather handy. In fact I was thinking about this the other day what we need is a reference platform against which all other uCan devices can be tested. The most logical solution to me is a Raspbery Pi based uCan implementation (like yours for example) having Linux would really help with building tests suites/rigs/mocks etc.. If we go this route the RPi version should also be the version with the most up to date and stable stack (/me hopes this isn't contradictory).[/quote]

I agree on a reference platform, but I think a Beaglebone Black would be a better choice, since it's got built in CAN, while getting CAN working on an RPi is a bit of an exercise in frustration, currently. Or possible an Arduino, for simplicity's sake? It really depends what people intend to do with the platform.

For what it's worth, my Python implementation of uCAN (for use on any linux platform) is fully unit tested and is well suited to being a reference implementation. The C port is a little more rough-and-ready.

I certainly have a few RPi's around here would just need one of your uCan boards, of course you are also welcome to any of my boards in return. I also extend this to others on the forum that would like to work on the Xmos side of the stack I have several uCan slice boards I can spare for those interested (you would need an Xmos startkit or Slicekit to use it obviously).

Unfortunately, I don't have any XMOS boards to develop with, but thanks for the offer! Email me your address at nick@arachnidlabs.com and I'll get some hardware sent out ASAP.

In other news, I'm about to start working on fleshing out the events protocol. Suggestions for an event taxonomy are welcome, as are clever names for the protocol.

Reply #322
I don't mind going the BeagleBone Black route if you think it's superior, I've been looking for an excuse to buy one to supersede my older beaglebone! I am happy with BBB being the reference implementation BTW, I would much prefer it to Arduino..

P.S. Python would make for a simple and accessible test harness IMHO

regards
Al

Reply #323
[quote author="Folknology"]*Update - Things ticking along here, just received some boards back ready to assemble and play with. The top ones are uCan slices and the the lower ones are open energy controller SDK/eval board which will also sport uCan ports. Both of these are Xmos focused and will allow me to start developing the stack for that platform. I am still waiting for components to populate though so its's going to be a while before I have anything to show.

[attachment=0]

Regards
Al[/quote]

I just got sent an Xmos for Xmas, so I'd love to get my hands on an Xmos slice.

Just a reminder, please do send me your address details (and desired test boards) to nick@arachnidlabs.com so I can send something to you.

Reply #324
Thanks for the gentle reminder, I have been rather busy up to Xmas and as a result haven't even started on the board assembly (plus waiting for the drivers to arrive). I will fit this in over the next few months however and get cracking on the Xmos uCan code base, good news on winning a StartKit BTW, I have put a uLan slice aside for you, we should get together in London sometime in the new year.

P.S. There seems to be a BBB drought currently..

regards
Al

Reply #325
Hey Guys,

Not sure if there has been any progress regarding uCAN but I am currently looking for a Higher level application for a home automation project that I have started. I considered using both CANopen and VCSP and looks like I felt the same way you guys feel.

I did find the following CANopen library that was originally created for PIC and accordingly to the author it should be fairly easy to port to other uCs. I am not sure if anybody wants to take a stab at it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/canopennode/

Let me know if this project is still going so I can see if I can use it for CAN home automation. My board is based on ATMega328p running Arduino bootloader + MCP 25625.

Thanks,

Dro

Reply #326
[quote author="Dro"]Hey Guys,

Not sure if there has been any progress regarding uCAN but I am currently looking for a Higher level application for a home automation project that I have started. I considered using both CANopen and VCSP and looks like I felt the same way you guys feel.

I did find the following CANopen library that was originally created for PIC and accordingly to the author it should be fairly easy to port to other uCs. I am not sure if anybody wants to take a stab at it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/canopennode/

Let me know if this project is still going so I can see if I can use it for CAN home automation. My board is based on ATMega328p running Arduino bootloader + MCP 25625.

Thanks,

Dro[/quote]

It's been more or less on hold for me for a while since I've had other things to work on like my kickstarter, but I certainly intend to pick it up again soon.