Skip to main content
Topic: Upgrade, what files to use? (Read 3141 times) previous topic - next topic

Upgrade, what files to use?

I used pump loader and got status.  I would like to know for sure what the versions reported are for.  I got the standard PUMP HW 1 FW 0.1 BOOT1.  So does that mean the Boot loader version 1 is in there?

I then ran the bit stream programming using 16Ch 8K 0-15 on the buffered pins.  Now it does not connect.  Error running PC Client.  I guess that makes sense, I have to do the Pic too?

All the hex files for the pic just seem to be "pump.hex".  No version other than a date when use look at properties.

If I try to reprogram the Pic ( I have ICD2), what should I set the fuse settings up for?  Can I just program the Boot Loader part of the Pic, I don't know anything about boot loaders.   Which Bootloader program would then be used?

I have to look at Vcc on the ICD2.  I don't want it using 5V?
I will have it NOT use power from ICD2 supply?

Anyone got hints on all this.  Which files by date to try?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Upgrade, what files to use?

Reply #1
You've got HW version 1(.01) with the default bitstream loaded. Also the bootloader is in place (good sign ;))

In early packages all the pic firmware is called pump.hex. Later on they are versioned. Donwloading the 2.04 package will provide the latest bitstream (FPGA part) You can use the included pump.hex or a later version (0.6) Ian provided here: http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/in ... 78#msg5278 .

You can use the bootloader (it is inlcuded on your board) instead of the ICD2 (no need to mess with the fuses/voltages).

The Vdd = 3v3 and the fuses are:

Code: [Select]
     #pragma config WDTEN = OFF          
     #pragma config PLLDIV = 5           //Divide by 5 (20 MHz oscillator input)
     #pragma config STVREN = ON        
     #pragma config XINST = OFF         
     #pragma config CPUDIV = OSC1       
     #pragma config CP0 = OFF           
     #pragma config OSC = HSPLL         
     #pragma config T1DIG = ON          
     #pragma config LPT1OSC = OFF       
     #pragma config FCMEN = OFF         
     #pragma config IESO = OFF          
     #pragma config WDTPS = 32768       
     #pragma config DSWDTOSC = INTOSCREF
     #pragma config RTCOSC = T1OSCREF   
     #pragma config DSBOREN = OFF       
     #pragma config DSWDTEN = OFF      
     #pragma config DSWDTPS = 8192      
     #pragma config IOL1WAY = OFF       
     #pragma config MSSP7B_EN = MSK7    
     #pragma config WPFP = PAGE_1       
     #pragma config WPEND = PAGE_0      
     #pragma config WPCFG = OFF         
     #pragma config WPDIS = OFF   

Reply #2
I suggest you put your ICD2 away because it will not be needed!

Seeed shipped your OLS with the bootloader ... it will be OLS bootloader v1 (OLSv1-bootloader-v1.hex)
Your OLS, the hardware, will be Open Bench Logic Sniffer v1.01

What you want to install now is:

1. Upgrade the firmware to OLSv1-firmware-v05-20MHz or OLSv1-firmware-v06-20MHz (it doesn't really matter, I use v06)
2. Upgrade the bitstream to release 2.04 (the filename is Logic_Sniffer.mcs)
3. Install the latest version of the SUMP Java client (analyzer.jar) - do not rename analyzer.jar!

Get the files from here:

1. Firmware OLSv1-firmware-v05-20MHz & OLSv1-firmware-v06-20MHz from here (OLSv1-firmware-v05v06-20MHz-b.zip).
2. Bitstream release 2.04 and the latest SUMP Java client from here
3. (the latest version of the bootloader - OLSv1-bootloader-v1-20MHz.hex - can be found in BP-OLS-FW-test-vb.zip (/BP-OLS-FW-test-vb/BusPirateProgrammer/OLSv1-bootloader-v1-20MHz.hex) again, there is no need to install the bootloader as your OLS has one).

For detailed instructions read the Bus Pirate OLS bootloader rescue HowTo - omit steps 1.-4. and start with "5. Load new firmware with bootloader"!

The OLS Test Mode is described in "client Test Mode" - it will only work with the full upgrade described above!

Reply #3
Got some success here, may be lucky?

I used ICD2 with one of the latest Pump.hex, no description in file name?
Left the option to use fuses in file, not specifying any fuses in ICD2 Programmer.

I did this earlier before your response.

I did the bit stream rom load for 16 Channels x 8K for 0-15 buffered input pins.  They are all named the same too.
I used the one that makes the inputs 0-15 buffered.

Works after moving USB around and getting it to use a new inf file.
It took a few times to have the USB be seen in the PC Client.

I saw a note here with a picture of the Sniffer choosing a new different driver.
Although it now works, I never saw that or can find that description in PC System.  System says a Microchip driver from 97?

So now I see the 100KHz 8 lines from my test Pic on Ch0-7, haven't checked the upper byte!

When I use the batch program for status check, it still reports the same versions as before?

So it is working so far, I used the cursors and the timing is right on a far as the counter applied to 0-7.

My Trigger LED FELL off somewhere in the CARPET!  I gave up looking for the litte sucker!
I had a Green one from Mouser and that is working now.

Still wondering about the USB driver?  I have problems reconnecting, looks like it is not using the correct driver.

What is the new drivers name and where is it?

I did nothing with the PC Client?  Does it use the Jar File with XP, do I just have it in the same directory with the Client?
Guess I don't know what you meant about updating the Java Client.  I am using the old original program from over a year ago?

So OK if I can get USB to connect reliably?

Thanks!  
Mike

Reply #4
There is NO special USB driver for the OLS, only an .inf (mchpcdc.inf) and a .cat (mchpcdc.cat) file are needed the first time the OLS is connected to a PC! That's when you see the "Found New Hardware - Logic Sniffer CDC-232" message.

Quoted from "Prototype: Openbench Logic Sniffer logic analyzer"

The first time you plug it in, give Windows the .inf file from the project folder to assign the correct drivers to the device.

The .inf and .cat file can be found in BP-OLS-FW-test-vb.zip (/BP-OLS-FW-test-vb/inf/..).

Once installed and with the OLS connected you should see something like this in your Device Manager (COM port number may be different):

Sorry, I have no English Windows system available atm ... marked the essential information ... will be the same on an English Windows system.

Since you connected your first OLS to your PC (before you shipped it back to Seeed) the configuration process for the OLS may have been completed back then and the message did not show again when you connected your replacement OLS the first time.

1. In bootloader mode the OLS enumerates as a USB HID device (using the standard Microsoft HID driver)

2. In ROM/bitstream update mode and in SUMP/Analyzer mode the OLS enumerates as a USB virtual serial port  (Logic Sniffer CDC-232)

Now for the problems you encounter when trying to reconnect (do you mean starting a new capture run from within the SUMP Java client - without restarting the Java Client or do youencounter the problems when restarting the Java Client after exiting it?).

If you have Arduino IDE installed (not necessarily running) or other programs that make use of  the rxtx Java serial/parallel communication lib then this may cause the reconnect problems. See Conflicts between SUMP Java Client and COM port devices (like Arduino) for further details ...

When running pump-loader to check the status/version of the OLS you should get a message like this for an OLS shipped by Seeed with a bootloader:

C:Tempdummy2.04TestRelease>pump-loader -p:COM19 -run -status
PUMP loader

Opening serial port 'COM19' @ 921600 ... OK
Found PUMP HW: 1, FW: 0.1, Boot: 1
Found flash: ATMEL AT45DB041D

For an OLS shipped by Seeed without a bootloader you should see something like this:

C:Tempdummy2.04TestRelease>pump-loader -p:COM19 -run -status
PUMP loader

Opening serial port 'COM19' @ 921600 ... OK
Found PUMP HW: 1, FW: 0.1, Boot: 255

... and for a fully upgraded OLS with firmware v06 and bitstream rel. 2.04 you should see this:

C:Tempdummy2.04TestRelease>pump-loader -p:COM23 -run -status
PUMP loader

Opening serial port 'COM23' @ 921600 ... OK
Found PUMP HW: 1, FW: 0.6, Boot: 1

For bitstream release 2.04 the new/latest SUMP Java client (analyzer.jar) from 2.04TestRelease.zip (created April 30, 2010, 14:39:00) must be used because the "old" client (same file name) does not support features/commands like Test Mode and up to 8k samples for 16 channels (if channel groups 3 and 4 are disabled in the capture menu).

Unfortunately, the Help --> About message was not updated for the new/latest SUMP Java Client so there is no way of knowing which one you are using ... both will show the same About message

... unless you check the file size (the new/latest SUMP Java client is 124.927 Bytes long, the old one has 124.565 Bytes). To make sure that you have the proper SUMP Java client installed

- remove all analyzer.jar files from your system
- extract analyzer.jar and run_java_client.bat from 2.04TestRelease.zip and copy it into your working directory
- open a command shell (DOS box) and change to your working directory
- start the new/latest SUMP Java client with the command [font=courier:]analyzer.jar[/font:] or launch it directly from Windows Explorer
  or use the batch file [font=courier:]run_java_client.bat[/font:] if you want a debug output of the Java client!

P.S. Don't use OB_Logic_Sniffer.exe it contains the old SUMP Java client!

Reply #5
Thanks for providing so much great support guys.

@motodog - where are you finding the pump.hex files? I should remove them if they're causing confusion.  It'll be hard to support a random pump.hex firmware, and v1 has lots of problems on some boards. Please reprogram the bootloader and upgrade to one of the latest firmware (.05 or .06) and bitstreams (2.04). All the latest firmware a bitstreams are linked in the forum here, the version should be part of the file name:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/in ... opic=580.0

Another good resource is the manual:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/open-logic-sniffer/

Here's the update guides for the ROM:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2010/05/ ... om-update/

and PIC:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2010/05/ ... rs-needed/

The PIC upgrade guide shows how to use the .inf to assign the driver already present in Windows. The .inf is included in the various update packages. As does this thread (steps 5 and 6):
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/in ... opic=620.0

Here's the Logic Sniffer article which explain the hardware and the (current) use of bitstreams with different sample depths:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2010/02/ ... nalyzer-2/

The latest bitstream 2.04 has limited support for different sample depths, but it's still beta:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/in ... opic=576.0

I split this into a new topic since it's not related to the original post.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #6
The unversioned pump.hex is in the 2.03 and 2.04 packages provided by Jack.

I guess they will be both 0.2 firmware (the first SPI firmware) but I'm not sure.