Skip to main content
Topic: Test Release 2.03 and 2.04 - SPI mode. (Read 37790 times) previous topic - next topic

Test Release 2.03 and 2.04 - SPI mode.

EDIT by ian: Please see the test upgrade guide for further instructions, and to test for the bootloader.

Here's a list of the most recent releases, the files attached to these posts are old.

Ok,

We have two new test releases ready, both of them use SPI mode and will require an update of the PIC firmware and the FPGA-ROM. For those without a bootloader we will need to figure out how to get bootloaders installed before these test releases can be used.

Test Release 2.03 takes the standard 32bit4kinside bitstream and replaces the UART communications between the PIC and the FPGA with SPI communications. It speeds things up and will hopefully eliminate the communication issues people have been seeing. Please note that we have not really made any attempts yet to make it fast but you should see a speed increase, it will probably be much faster when we tune it.

Test Release 2.04 still uses the SPI mode but adds some goodies and a new version of the Java client. The Java client has an option to select the inside or outside numbering scheme and it also adds a test mode. If a ribbon cable is connected between the two headers and test mode is selected a test pattern can be captured. There is also a first attempt at enabling multiple memory configurations. If channel group 2 and 3 is disabled then 8k of memory depth should be available. If all channel groups are enabled then 4k of memory depth is available.

Please note that I have not done much testing at all with these releases and I'm hoping for help finding any issues.

Jack.

Re: Test Release 2.03 and 2.04 - SPI mode.

Reply #1

EDIT by ian:
There's an overview of the upgrade process here:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2010/05/ ... ers-needed

I attached a second download to this post that includes another update to the firmware (new USB descriptor that might help with hub problems). It also includes the bootloader firmware for testers who don't have the bootloader installed, but do have a PIC programmer.

If you don’t have a bootloader, we are working on several ways to install it. First, a utility to use the Bus Pirate to reprogram the OLS PIC chip should be available within the week. Second, we’ll setup repair centers worldwide to provide reflashes if you don’t have a Bus Pirate, and we can send a few Bus Pirates out on a mailing chain to help people update. Finally, there’s the option of using the FPGA to reprogram the PIC with a crafty bitstream.

Edit: removed v03 firmware, attached v05/06.

Reply #2
Jack:

I'm a complete newb at all this, but was able to update the firmware using a jumper on the ICP header.

Through an Adaptec powered USB 1.1 hub, communication failures continued to occur (hmmm...maybe it's the 1.1?)

Connected directly to a ThinkPadT42, only one comm failure in over 50 sniffs. Much improved.

The LA sees I2C signals, but continues to report that over 90% of each reading (fast, slow, std, RLE, whatever) is filled with bus errors.
Could be me, don't know.

Speed and stability better than before. Haven't gotten to the enhanced Java features yet.

Thanks for the rev....

Terry

Reply #3
Jack which do you want us to test?  BTW your .bat files never work on my XP systems the choice command seems to be missing or an add on I do not have.

Reply #4
@Terry
Thanks for testing, I haven't had an opportunity to use the I2C plugin yet but with the UART plugin I did find that the higher frequency I captured the data at the more accurate the plugin was. You might try capturing at the highest frequency that you can get all your data in and see what the plugin results are then.

@rhyde
You probably want to start with 2.04 since it has some interesting new features, if it proves to be unstable then drop down to 2.03 and see if the same instability exists.
Sorry about the bat files, someone pointed the problem out a couple weeks ago but the SPI mode has taken so much effort to implement that I didn't have the energy to fix the bat file before releasing. Sorry, I intend to replace choice with a mingw equivalent soon.

Reply #5
Sorry I reread Jacks message and my problem is I did not update the pic.   So ignore me.  I have a bootloader less board, I will have to look at my options.

Okay initial attempt on xp box at work fails.  The device is com14 which is seenm but I have a consistent failure, where it use to be intermittent.   This is 3 for 3 here. (That is i tried 3 runs and all 3 failed) I will be headed home and I will try it on the mac and xp box there.
No problem with the bat I just want to make sure it had been pointed out.

No bootloader so I did not update the PIC, I am not sure if that was required.  I do have a bp so if Ian can point the script for that method I am willing to try that.

$ /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_20/bin/java.exe -jar analyzer.jar
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
COM1
COM14
Device Controller found: org.sump.analyzer.devices.FpgaDeviceController
COM1
COM14
Device Controller found: org.sump.analyzer.devices.Hp16500DeviceController
Device Controller = FPGA Controller
Tool found: org.sump.analyzer.tools.I2CProtocolAnalysis
Tool found: org.sump.analyzer.tools.SPIProtocolAnalysis
Tool found: org.sump.analyzer.tools.StateAnalysis
Tool found: org.sump.analyzer.tools.UARTProtocolAnalysis
Attaching to: COM14 (115200bps)
Run started
Device ID: 0x0
Run aborted
java.io.IOException: Device not found.
        at org.sump.analyzer.devices.FpgaDevice.run(FpgaDevice.java:648)
        at org.sump.analyzer.devices.FpgaDeviceController.run(FpgaDeviceControll
er.java:546)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Reply #6
I haven't tried updating yet so hopefully I have the boot loader but for those that do not can the OBLS PIC be programed with a bus pirate?

Reply #7
Hi Terry - It sounds like you may have a timeout problem in the SUMP client, maybe the updated .jar file (with updated delay) will help. The SUMP project doesn't get many updates from it's authors any more, I'm hoping sigrok will have OLS support soon and I would recommend moving in that direction ASAP.

Just in case, I've attached an updated (SPI) firmware with a new USB device descriptor that allows for more current and has other updates. Maybe that will help with the hub problem. Please let me know what you find if you try it.

rhyde & Luke - We successfully programmed the flash of a PIC with the Bus Pirate on Monday, now we're adding the part of the app that loads and parses the HEX file to write. The difficult part (writing to PIC flash) is done, the HEX loading and parsing code can be borrowed from DS30Loader. The utility should be ready for testing very very soon, but I suggest you hold off until a few people with PIC programmers have tested it before risking bricking your OLS.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #8
@Jack.gasset: Is the testpattern simular with the one generated with two OLS, e.g. each next channel is halved the frequency? Could you provide a screenshot so people could compare their results with a know good one?

I'll post my findings tonight (I got a complete OLS with bootloader). You want the test results in a separate topic (like on the buspirate forum)?

Reply #9
This update worked for both the OLS boards I have, including the one with the 'unable to communicate with some bitstreams' problem. sampling of the PWM output of a a Bus Pirate looks good.

Maybe the firmware with updated descriptor will solve some hub issues, and we can release a massive fix for the most common issues. Once we get a handle on the bootloader problem we'll be in good shape.

Reply #10
I have a programmer and have tested the new release. It works fine with the old java client and appears to be little bit faster than before.
I don't think that it is necessary to get even higher transfer speeds though, because the OLS doesn't have a lot of memory to dump.. with my setup it gets the data in < 1s.

Trying to run the new Java client with the command line
Code: [Select]
java -jar analyzer.jar
gives me the error:
Error while invoking application: null

dont know what that is supposed to mean..

files in folder:
[font=courier:]Verzeichnis von F:ProgrammeSUMP2.04TestRelease

26.05.2010  12:28              .
26.05.2010  12:28              ..
30.04.2010  14:39           124'927 analyzer.jar
25.05.2010  15:52             1'236 ChangeLog.txt
26.05.2010  12:28              firmware
25.05.2010  16:00               308 load_ROM.bat
25.05.2010  14:34           169'314 logic_sniffer.bit
25.05.2010  14:35           465'404 Logic_Sniffer.mcs
24.02.2010  16:49            33'022 pump-loader.exe
15.12.2006  11:36                30 run_java_client.bat
26.05.2010  12:58              jre1.6.0_14-b08
               7 Datei(en)        794'241 Bytes
               4 Verzeichnis(se),  3'490'840'576 Bytes frei[/font:]

Laube

Reply #11
Hi,
[quote author="laube"]
Trying to run the new Java client with the command line
java -jar analyzer.jar
gives me the error:
Error while invoking application: null
Laube
[/quote]

The same here, is the source code for this version of the client somewhere (can't find it in SVN on GadgetFactory, last update on the trunk was 8 days ago)

Eberhard

Reply #12
Hi,
I updated the board with the 2.04 release (PIC and bitstream)
The board is still detected as a USB2Serial but every attempt to capture data fails with
Attaching to: /dev/ttyACM0 (115200bps)
Run started
Device ID: 0x0
Run aborted
java.io.IOException: Device not found.
        at org.sump.analyzer.devices.FpgaDevice.run(FpgaDevice.java:649)
        at org.sump.analyzer.devices.FpgaDeviceController.run(FpgaDeviceController.java:550)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
I have another LA, are the signals used for the new SPI transfer available on pins? I could try to capture the signals between PIC and FPGA.

I use the client code from GadgetFactory SVN with the timeout on the usb2serial set to 5 seconds.

Eberhard

Reply #13
@wayoda - Is the ACT LED off? Could you please post the results of a pump-loader -status run.

Also, could you please test with a serial terminal that can send hex like Herculese (http://www.hw-group.com/products/hercules/index_en.html) and send 00 00 00 00 00 02. It should return 1ALS as in the screenshot attached.

Reply #14
Found PUMP HW: 1, FW: 0.1, Boot: 255

:(