Skip to main content
Topic: Free PCB build: USB IR TOY v3 + updated irWidget FW (Read 1577 times) previous topic - next topic

Free PCB build: USB IR TOY v3 + updated irWidget FW

I've finally put some time and acquired most of the required parts to assemble the USB IR Toy v3 free PCB I received a few weeks ago. I've been lately interested in making a "backup" of several remotes I've at home, and the USB IR toy with the IRWidget firmware seems like the perfect candidate for doing so. Since JTR's irWidget firmware only allows using the IRScope application with IR Toys equipped with the QSE159 photodetector, and unfortunately I did not manage to find such part for a reasonable amount, I decided to update his firmware to allow other IR Toys (like mine) to be usable with the IRScope app just by measuring IR pulse lengths using the regular TSOP photosensor. While the pulse lenght measurement method will not allow the IRScope to calculate the carrier frequency (unlike the pulse count method relying on the QSE159), it will however enable IR Toy V1 users to decode IR signals using the IRScope (just use the IR WidgetTime option in the Hardware and Mode combo box). I'm attaching full source code of this updated FW plus the hex file just in case anybody is interested on it. I do not normally develop using MPLABX, so you'll probably note that there is no associated MPLABX project. This however may be easily circumvented by anybody interested in compile from sources.

Thanks DP for the free PCB!