Skip to main content
Topic: Attaching BGAs, CSPs and other Area Array Devices for Proto (Read 1759 times) previous topic - next topic

Attaching BGAs, CSPs and other Area Array Devices for Proto

How are you attaching area array devices to prototype boards?

The methods I have seen the most common for protos are:
1. Outsource it!
2. Print solder paste with a stencil and hand place
3. Use a stay-in-place stencil whihc allows the user to "fit it in to" the apertures and handplace -probably only good to 0.8mm pitch with some type of magnification for placement of the stencil).

Thanks

BWET

Attaching BGAs, CSPs and other Area Array Devices for Proto

Reply #1
I've heard about stencils and hand placement or the lockin type.  I think in general though most hobbyists avoid use of these packages.  Although I say go for it!  I like the enthusiasm towards working with these packages.  To me you should be able to do it but some stencil and paste will be needed and reflow.

My biggest sticking point for these packages is that the pcb technology to fan them out and route power will at minimum require 4 layers.  I try to stick to 2 layers for cost reasons.

Re: Attaching BGAs, CSPs and other Area Array Devices for Pr

Reply #2
The stay in place method that we use is listed here:

We the StencilQuik product for BGAs.  Pretty easy to use. Put the stencil down (eyeballs for 1.0mm and greater), "smear" paste flux on bottom of balls, fit the balls into the apertures, put into toaster oven and off you go!

BWET