Skip to main content
Topic: Cutting mylar stencils with a silohuette cameo (Read 198137 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cutting mylar stencils with a silohuette cameo

Reply #105
[quote author="jesuscf"][quote author="xl97"]correct it.. still same results..

do I need to reboot the machine perhaps?  (I havent been)[/quote]

Wait a minute!  My fresh installation of pstoedit on Windows XP has no drvmagick.dll:

Code: [Select]
 Directory of C:Program Filespstoedit

06/01/2013  10:05 AM    <DIR>          .
06/01/2013  10:05 AM    <DIR>          ..
04/28/2013  08:27 PM          640,512 drvlplot.dll
04/28/2013  08:27 PM          294,400 drvswf.dll
12/03/2004  10:55 PM              315 examplefigmap.fmp
08/13/2001  07:44 PM          211,231 latex2e.fmp
08/13/2001  07:44 PM          296,447 mpost.fmp
04/28/2013  08:27 PM          495,104 pstoedit.dll
04/28/2013  08:27 PM            8,192 pstoedit.exe
04/28/2013  08:18 PM            78,129 pstoedit.htm
08/10/2009  04:37 PM            3,772 readme.wri
04/28/2013  08:27 PM          462,848 stddrivers.dll
11/01/2001  10:10 PM            1,096 svg.fmp
06/01/2013  10:05 AM            1,709 unins000.dat
06/01/2013  10:05 AM          716,126 unins000.exe
04/28/2013  03:43 PM              143 unix.fmp
08/13/2001  07:44 PM              615 wemf.fmp
04/28/2013  03:43 PM              146 windows.fmp
              16 File(s)      3,210,785 bytes
              2 Dir(s)  1,336,655,872 bytes free

C:Program Filespstoedit>

Some forums suggest removing that dll to get rid of the error.

Jesus[/quote]

BINGO!..

that was it!

just remove it...  (which I had done previously.. in the beginning ofmy troubleshooting here.. but it had gotten aded back over the course of testing things..

I do NOT get that error any longer..

thanks  :)

Reply #106
Im just going to hang out here and cross my fingers that the Gui and setup process get suport for mac and linux. :)

Reply #107
[quote author="2blmaster"]Hi Tobias,

thanks for testing. This is the gerber file, default settings, default offset, etc.
(needed to add .txt for upload here)

Cheers
  Andre[/quote]

Hey Andre,
sorry for the late reply, I tested it already on saturday but i had no time to reply here...
Look at the attachment, there is the result with the default optimize.py file (that really took a looooooooong time to cut).

the lower left corner is a bit missaligned, and some pitchs are broken. Similar to your result, that is not really a good stencil.
With your improved optimize.py file, I got a very good and clear result in less time (see attachment)!

Tobi

Reply #108
[quote author="ivin"]Im just going to hang out here and cross my fingers that the Gui and setup process get suport for mac and linux. :)[/quote]

Please give this script a try on Linux (it should work also on W7 and WXP).  I tested it on Debian with XFCE.  I had to install python-tk (sudo apt-get install python-tk) in order to run it.  Also you have to chmod it (chmod a+x g2g_gui.py, or using XFCE file properties thing) before running.  Of course you need gerbv and pstoedit installed in your system as the script uses these programs.

Jesus

Reply #109
[quote author="reserve"]Look at the attachment, there is the result with the default optimize.py file[/quote]

Hi Tobi,

thanks for testing and your time!
Interesting - so my Cameo is not different from yours...
Interesting that no one else encountered this kind of difficulties with the default script. I'm also not sure why this happens - maybe the cutter gets its move cut commands too close after the move commands, so the head still has some "speed left", and does some kind of mechanical oscillation, after it moved that far from the "training area" outside the stencil? This is te only explanation I can think of...

Good to know, that it works with the modified version :)

Cheers
  Andre

Cutting mylar stencils with a silohuette cameo

Reply #110
Will that GUI work on Linux or OS X?

Sent from my iPhone

Reply #111
GUI front end for Gerber to Graphtec. It should work on Windows 7 and XP as well as on Linux (tested on Debian with XFCE).

Im thinking,.... "yes"  :)

I have NOT used the newest one posted for Linux/Mac (and also should work for Windows 7/XP)

I am still using the script from this post:

Windows 7/XP updated one:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5341&start=90#p52539

I have not tried the-

Linux/Mac & Windows 7/XP one:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5341&p=52600#p52583

@ jesuscf

should we all be using the latest version of the script? (or only if we need a Linux/Mac compatible script?)

Any reason the Windows users should grab/use the latest version?

thanks

Reply #112
[quote author="xl97"]
@ jesuscf

should we all be using the latest version of the script? (or only if we need a Linux/Mac compatible script?)

Any reason the Windows users should grab/use the latest version?

thanks[/quote]

There is not functional difference on Windows for the two scripts.  The second script (the one that works on Linux) is just the first script with a bunch of "if os.name=='nt':" added to account for the small differences when running commands on Linux.  For example, to send file to the cutter:

Code: [Select]
    if os.name=='nt':
      os.system("copy /B "%s" "%s"" % (src, dst))
    else:
      os.system("cat %s > %s" % (src, dst))
Jesus

Reply #113
got it.... thanks!

this whole script/gui you have done (and the optimized .py file posted here too!)..

has 'really' made my Cameo purchase worth it for me!

if I can find some other cool stuff to do with it.. it will only be a bonus now!@

thanks!

Reply #114
Hi Jesus,

Would you mind if I added g2g_gui.py to my Github repository (suitably credited)?  Or you can fork the project and I can pull from your repo if you prefer.

Also I'll add the cutting mode from Andre that doesn't retrain for every group of backlash-free strokes.  I'm a little puzzled at the rough patches several people are seeing, apparently at the extreme edges of the artwork.  Could those folks who have encountered this please post/attach the Gerber files?  I'd like to try them on my cutter and maybe understand better what's going on.

Cheers,
Peter

Reply #115
Hi Peter,
please find the gerber file that showed the problems attached in this post: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5341&start=75#p52483

My guess: coming from the training position with high speed, the cutting head does not come to complete rest before starting to cut, and overlays some kind of mechanical oscillation with the straight cut. Do the commands sent to the Cameo allow to slow the head down, or wait shortly at the new position before starting the cut?

Cheers
  Andre

Reply #116
One option to minimize the travel time after training cuts, and to speed up in general, is to scatter training cuts around the perimeter of the board, just outside the final boundary.  Make a training cut, then cut a half-dozen nearby cuts in that orientation, train another orientation, keep cutting, and just work around the board.

gil

Reply #117
Yeah, but why doing this? AndreĀ“s improved version works perfectly with fast speed and fantastic results. I think there is no need to change that.

Tobi

Reply #118
[quote author="pmonta"]Hi Jesus,
Would you mind if I added g2g_gui.py to my Github repository (suitably credited)? 
Peter[/quote]

Hi Peter,

I'll be honored if you add g2g_gui.py to your Github repository!

Jesus

Reply #119
I've added the GUI code from jesuscf to my github repository.  Also the default cutting mode now uses simple raster scanning, according to Andre's suggestion, which apparently results in better quality for some types of stencils.

I've tagged this as version 0.2; github provides a download link here:

http://https://github.com/pmonta/gerber2graphtec/tags

Future versions will get their own tags, of course.

Please let me know if this change results in a decrease in quality for any types of stencils.  In general, if there are any Gerber files with features at or above 0.4 mm pitch that result in poor quality, those would be interesting to debug with.

Cheers,
Peter