Skip to main content
Topic: Cutting mylar stencils with a silohuette cameo (Read 198519 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cutting mylar stencils with a silohuette cameo

Reply #75
Hi folks,

this topic is a great source for plotting SMT stencils. I just received my Silhouette Cameo today. Now i installed all the necessary stuff to run g2g on a Windows 7 machine. It seems that it´s working - but actually I´m out of transparency stock and can´t test it properly...
Is there an easy way to run the test-scripts from a Windows machine? If it is possible, whats the commando line for this?

Thank you very much, I will post my results soon.

Greetings from Germany :)

Reply #76
Hi reserve:

If you go back to page 1 of this thread, and scroll down to the Apr-3 post by jesuscf, the command lines to type are there -- that post of his has all the details.  Open a command window, cd to the proper directory, and type in the commands (if you have everything named the same as he did). 

Jesus had his files all in one place, but I put g2g in a subfolder, shortened the name, and wrote a little batch file so I could just double-click it and type in the filename of the gerber (plus remind myself to set blade depth etc).

You can still test cut a file with a bit of cardstock or file-folder paper.  Might want blade depth of 2.  Make a REALLY SMALL test gerber with just a few parts.

gil

Reply #77
Hey gil,

thank you for your reply, i finally got some transparency´s and already tested it :). The G2G is really working with FANTASTIC results... I used the "improved" optimize.py file from this thread here.

Here are some pics from the first test:

Tobias

Reply #78
[quote author="reserve"]Hey gil,

thank you for your reply, i finally got some transparency´s and already tested it :). The G2G is really working with FANTASTIC results... I used the "improved" optimize.py file from this thread here.

Here are some pics from the first test:

Tobias[/quote]

Tobias, your stencil cuts have excellent corners.  What kind of transparency (brand/type) are you using?

Jesus

Reply #79
wow those DO look great!..

I dont think my results have been that good even!..

I have used mylar and Apollo transparencies..

I have gotten mixed results from the stock/default G2G script (havent tried the optimized one yet)

some of the holes/cuts will be GREAT..  and then some will have one side/cut skewed or bowed or angled..

maybe the optimized fixes that..and I need to re-test?

Reply #80
Hi there,

I used the following settings:

offset = (4,0.5)   #offset x,y translate to device coordinates x,y (inches)
border = (1.5,1.5)   #border bx,by leave a border around the bounding box of the gerber file
matrix = (1,0,0,1)   #matrix a,b,c,d transform coordinates by [a b;c d]
speed = [2,2]      #speed s[,s2[,s3]] use speed s in device units; s2,s3 for multiple passes
force = [8,30]      #force f[,f2[,f3]] use force f in device units; f2,f3 for multiple passes
cut_mode = 0      #[0|1] 0 for highest accuracy (fine pitch), 1 for highest speed

(my Cameo is cutting 4 Times with this config, is that correct?)

* a brand new Silhouette Cameo
* driver x64 from CD
* a brand new cutting mat from Silhouette Cameo retail package
* blade setting: 1
* Avery 2502 InkJet Transparencies (i put the rough side downwards, so the cutter cuts the glossy side of the transparency)
* i used a credit card to fix the transparency on the cutting mat (be careful, do this with sensitivity)

I also got a 100pcs. package of 3M PP2500 transparencies, i will test them tomorrow.

Tobias
 1.jpg 94.15 KB, 1000x1000 - viewed 11081 times

Reply #81
I 'believe' your setting are only set up to cut twice.. (not 4 times)..  (but I could be wrong).

seems like you only set 2 speed settings.. and 2 force settings (for two passes)

I have to have my blade on setting 2 (physically).. I have never gotten blade setting on 1 to work on mylar or the Apollo sheets!

I believe I have done same as you as well.

* a brand new Silhouette Cameo
* driver x86 from CD
* a brand new cutting mat from Silhouette Cameo retail package
* blade setting: 2
* Apollo wrtie-on transparenceis
* used a credit card to smooth sheet on sticky mat.

(G2G settings I used are attached to each image results I posted)

yours look really (really) good..

worth a shot to try those Avery style ones now..lol

Reply #82
[quote author="teletypeguy"]Hi reserve:
Jesus had his files all in one place, but I put g2g in a subfolder, shortened the name, and wrote a little batch file so I could just double-click it and type in the filename of the gerber (plus remind myself to set blade depth etc).
gil[/quote]

Python supports open/save file pop-up windows!  I added that functionality to the attached modified version of gerber2graphtec.py.  I wonder if dialog boxes can be also added for the different options?

[attachment=0]

Jesus

Reply #83
that would be cool!..

I am using the /bat file posted here for my file name prompt....

(I edit the how many passes, position, speed & force settings in the .py script itself though)

anything to help beginners like myself get up and running fatser!  :)

Reply #84
Hey guys,

actually i´m trying out the3M PP2500 transparencies, they are definitivly much stronger to cut than the Avery 2502 (also 100µ) and the cuttings don't look that good. I need to set the blade to 2.

[quote author="xl97"]I 'believe' your setting are only set up to cut twice.. (not 4 times)..  (but I could be wrong).
seems like you only set 2 speed settings.. and 2 force settings (for two passes)[/quote]

thats correct, my cutter is cutting 4 times (within 2 passes, every pass with 2 cutings): 1st with force 8, then 30, then again with 8 and again with 30

In the attachement are my results using the 3M PP2500 (should be the equal to the 3M PP2200).

Tobias

Ps.: I would like to say thank you to all of you for your tips and hints, thats really a great thing to do Stencils so easy...

Reply #85
Hi again,

I use the same transparencies as Tobias (I think since they are the "default" ones to obtain in Germany *g*), and get equal high quality results, using the default gerber2graphtec options (two passes, speed 2 each, force 8 and 30) and blade option "2", with my modified optimize.py.

Tobias - would you mind trying to reproduce the faulty behaviour I obtained with the original optimize.py (which was my reason to look into it closer)? See the attached Photo in this post: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5341&start=15#p52227

One word to clarify the amount of cuts for each pass: Each Gerber file object is converted to a rectangle in the scripts, using just the four first corner points of the object. This is trivial/same for rectangles, but more complex objects are also possible - see the example.1gbr file, that comes with the g2g package, the pads have more points there. Further point are in this case skipped.
Now each stroke of the rectangel (four) is cut twice, once from each side, to ensure a "punch through"-point of the blade at each side.
Doing so, each rectangle is cut with eight cuts, from four different angles.

Cheers
  Andre

Reply #86
Hey Andre,

of course, I can do this. Please send me the Gerber-File you used.

Tobias

Reply #87
Hi Tobias,

thanks for testing. This is the gerber file, default settings, default offset, etc.
(needed to add .txt for upload here)

Cheers
  Andre

Reply #88
Ok, here it is a simple GUI front-end for Gerber2Graphtec.  You still have to follow the instructions to install the supporting programs as outlined earlier in this thread.  Then copy g2g_gui.py in the same folder where Gerber2Graphtec.py is installed.  Now instead of running gerber2graphtec.py from the command line, you can just double click g2g_gui.py and fill-in the boxes:

[attachment=0]

Select a Gerber solder mask file, select an output file, make sure the paths for gerbv and pstoedit and the shared name of your Silhouette cutter are correct.  Change the options as desired and click 'Create Graphtec File'.  To send the newly created file to the cutter click 'Send Graphtec File to Silhouette Cutter' and hopefully you'll end with a good stencil.

Edited:  Get the latest g2g_gui.py from here:

http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5341&start=90#p52539

Jesus

Reply #89
Hey Jesus:

Wow, a gui front end -- I can't test it yet, as the cameo is at the office, but that's frickin-awesome.  Thanks!

It seems to only want to open .txt files, but it's easy enough for me to change xyz.spt to xyz.spt.txt.

And thanks to lots of other folks for the optimize stuff, tests of different materials and so on.  We finally figured this machine out pretty well.  Sheesh, this thread got a lot bigger than I expected.  A lot of folks are buying machines and cutting stencils now!  We should all be getting commissions from the cameo folks -- and sending them to Peter!

One note on cut quality:  while it is, of course, important to get reasonably-square, straight clean cuts, and even more important to get very-accurate positioning over the entire board area, I really don't feel the need to obsess over perfectly-clean cut corners and stuff, because, quite frankly, the paste will smear and ooze anyway, and even short-out pads -- but the good thing is that during reflow the solder sucks up nicely onto the pads and only leaves the occasional short where the paste was heavy.

Anyway, a big thanks to everyone for all your contributions.

gil