Skip to main content
Topic: Cutting mylar stencils with a silohuette cameo (Read 198545 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cutting mylar stencils with a silohuette cameo

Reply #120
Hi Gil,

[quote author="teletypeguy"]One option to minimize the travel time after training cuts, and to speed up in general, is to scatter training cuts around the perimeter of the board, just outside the final boundary.  Make a training cut, then cut a half-dozen nearby cuts in that orientation, train another orientation, keep cutting, and just work around the board.
[/quote]

Yes, I'd like to do something like this for the next version.  Seeking all the way back to y=0 results in running time quadratic in max(y), which is not acceptable, and it can potentially result in larger accumulated errors, though in general I'm surprised by how good the retracing in the y direction is.  Errors don't accumulate in x, but one would think any slippage in the paper rollers would start to degrade the positioning in y.

Perhaps I'll just leave a trail of training areas along the edges, spaced by an inch or two.  That way each two-inch block along the y axis will be completely cut, never to be revisited, and errors will not accumulate.

Cheers,
Peter

Reply #121
Hey Peter:

Sheesh, any improvements to speed things up would be awesome, of course.  But we're all getting some very nice, accurate, stencils, and we are all real happy just to improve our prototyping workflow and move one more step in-house. 

You really got something started here, and lots of folks, well, all around the world, have gotten a big-old-grin on their face when their first stencil came off the cameo -- which, I imagine, put a big-old-grin on your face too :)

And, I now have a reason to learn more about python (and not just monty python, which has a classic syntax in which I am well-versed).  Python looks like a fun thing to get my 13-yo son into as well -- this summer is his first exposure to electronics and programming, as I am teaching a little class for him, and some buddies, using the simple-yet-powerful arduino (and some unusual devices, like a 1920s candlestick dial phone for digit-input to the arduino, using a pulse-counting state machine, while looking at the signal on a 2012 logic analyzer).  And then Sparkfun rolled through town, on their National Tour, getting the local kids even more excited and ready for robotics clubs in the fall.  All-in-all, it's been a great summer for electrical crapola so far.

Anyway, thanks much for getting us all moving in a good direction Peter,

gil

Reply #122
Hi.
How to run test_calibrate.py file in Windows XP?
Thank you.

Reply #123
Just copy it into main directory and run it like this:

test_calibrate.py > \YourPcNameCameo

this works for me.

Reply #124
does not work
I run a python.exe and write command:
C:gerber2graphtec-mastertest_calibrate.py > \Loracameo
or
C:test_calibrate.py > \Loracameo
After starting getting the message:
SyntaxEerror: invalid syntax
What am I doing wrong?

Reply #125
Everything works.
I was wrong. We had to enter commands in cmd
thank you

Reply #126
I also got gerber2graphtec to work for a project I'm working on - using 3M PP2500 film backed by Avery 5353 full-sheet labels, loaded as media, not as mat, as Peter Monta says. It seems like the Avery labels are necessary to keep the transparent film from bending during cutting, at least with diagonally-laid-out fine-pitch pads.

Reply #127
I wrote up a how-to guide in case anyone's interested:

http://adamfeuer.com/notes/2013/08/06/b ... 2graphtec/

I'm able to cut fine-pitch (0.5mm) stencils and they turn out just fine!

Reply #128
Just a quick note to thank the folks here for a fantastic thread about a fantastic resource.

I was losing hope with my Cameo with the slanted unusable cuts from the stock program.

Gui is great to have as well Jesus, thanks.

Reply #129
Just another note of thanks to everyone that posted and created this wonderful package.  It works much better than the default Cameo software / technique used by idleloop.  Really good job everyone!

Reply #130
Today I completed 20 panels using the same stencil cut with the Silhouette Cameo.  I used an Apollo write-on transparency.  Each panel has 20 boards for a grand total of 400 individual boards.  The attached pictures are for the 20th panelized board.  After cleaning it, the stencil looks like it can be used in 20 more panels!

[attachment=5]

[attachment=4]

[attachment=3]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=1]

[attachment=0]

Reply #131
How to configure silohuette cameo for the film format A3?
I am using Windows XP

P.S.
Trying to make a stencil for BGA (step - 1 mm hole - 0.5 mm)

Reply #132
I have a Silhouette CAMEO cutting plotter with 12 "cutting mat. I use it for cutting stencils. Help me configure plotter to cut the film 300x300 mm.
I use g2g_gui, operating system windows XP

Reply #133
I found the answer to my question. Start cutting out the stencil indicated in "offset".
I have the following question - how to disable cut border around stencil?

Reply #134
Hi!

In the gerber2graphtec python file, comment out the line

g.closed_path(border_path)

This will skip the border cut.

But what exactly did you do to cut large area files? mine just stops cutting after some "invisble" border in y direction, and I did not find any such hard limitations in the code, yet I do not understand all parameters that are set in the cutter initialization steps...

Cheers
  Andre