Skip to main content
Topic: Cheap Solder Paste (Read 25071 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cheap Solder Paste

Reply #15
I don't imagine it could hurt to try!

Reply #16
Have you tried it with a thicker syringe tip like a 18 ga?

Reply #17
I guess I over did it. Started a new syringe with only 1CM of paste and it's working ok with the plastic tip. Blue seems to be the smallest of the plastic ones, and it works. Haven't been able to get any of the needles to work.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #18
I think those are mend to dispense that tacky flux or glue.

Reply #19
The guy in this video http://youtu.be/rcLAskvaujA?t=18s is using a needle with metallic tip and have the syringe filled to 50 %...

Reply #20
http://www.nordson.com/en-us/divisions/ ... spensetips
I guess he's using 18gaugue tips?
The typical ebay tips doesnt seem to be using these colors, but since he had its tips in an box like that, I would guess they might follow that guide?

And after watching that video, I really want one of these.. His compressor was very quiet though..

Reply #21
I really like ZephPaste for prototypes. http://www.zeph.com/zephpaste.htm

$17 per 12 gram tube, but they really mean it when they say 6 month shelf life.

Their tech papers and videos are really good also, though they use them to heavily promote their own products.

Reply #22
Syringes that looks like that, are they ready to be mounted on the solder dispensers?, if so, they would be very nice to use
I have this, syringe looks the same, but I'm not sure if there is an standard for them: http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/pr ... id=1200045

Reply #23
I use top quality chipquik paste. I stenciled 24 robots like this:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2594&p=42524#p42524 (two-side load boards)
and I didn't  even spend half a 35g syringe, wasting quite a lot of paste in the stencilling process (basically I wasted all leftover paste stuck to the squeegee after each run, and I did runs of 4-6 robots)

I mean, why hoarding solder paste when a quality syringe would last the average (and not so average) user more than the product's shelf life?

I tried the LodeStar paste and the only compliants I have is that it smells bad and its flux is quite hard to clean off. The behaviour was much like chipquik paste and it didn't pop off or boil or spill or anything. My PICqueƱo (which has a TQFP28 and a TQFP64) was soldered with lodestar paste and a crappy etched copper stencil and it turned out with very few shorts.

Anyways I still prefer the pro stuff. It smells so good and it's so easy to clean....

Reply #24
I think those can be mounted on the solderdispenser like the one Ian got. I saw various endcaps for syringes.

that zephpte looks quite neat. What are the shippingcost apprx?

Reply #25
Shipping in the US is on the expensive side of reasonable, about $15 (I've never bought enough stuff at one time to bump the shipping above that).  Shipping internationally is pretty pricey.

Reply #26
A bit off topic, but whats the best way to apply paste without a stencil? I was trying apply some to make a video on how the paste looks, but without a stencil it just doesn't work out very well.

and like I read someone else saying, it does seem like its tiny balls of solder in flux and it does pop around a bit if you get too much on there, I've had it move 0805 stuff, but for the price I really cant complain.

Reply #27
[quote author="touch"]A bit off topic, but whats the best way to apply paste without a stencil? I was trying apply some to make a video on how the paste looks, but without a stencil it just doesn't work out very well.

and like I read someone else saying, it does seem like its tiny balls of solder in flux and it does pop around a bit if you get too much on there, I've had it move 0805 stuff, but for the price I really cant complain.[/quote]

You can use a dispenser like ian bought or you can use a toothpick to apply the paste. there was a post on hackaday about this a couple day ago: http://hackaday.com/2013/02/01/populate ... -tweezers/

Reply #28
I find the toothpick unreasonably difficult :)
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #29
[quote author="ian"]I find the toothpick unreasonably difficult :)[/quote]

Toothpick fails because wood is porous and it absorbs your fluxes so the paste thickens and doesn't properly stick to the board. Paste has two fluxes, one liquid that helps wetting and cleaning and one solid (which melts with the solder itself) that helps solder flow. You must use something that isn't porous. I use the tip of my tweezers but any plastic toothpick would do I guess. My method is to apply a reservoir drop 2mm away from the tip of the tweezers and let it drip to the tip. Then you just dab the tip agains the pads and most times the right amount is dispensed. Big reservoir drop for big pads, small reservoir drop for 0402's and such. Gravity does the rest.

I found that I could only do this with the chipquick stuff and I have to wait till it gets to room temperature (always store paste in the refrigerator). Lodestar paste is just too thick for that.