Skip to main content
Topic: Cheap Solder Paste (Read 25129 times) previous topic - next topic

Cheap Solder Paste

I'm not sure if this should be here or in General Discussion - but this seems like it might be the right place...

What do folks use for cheap solder paste - not $50 Kester syringes -I use Kester a lot but I'm looking for something to use on cheap prototypes and the like with the reflow oven I have on the way.

Like something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-50g-MCN-30 ... 4cfebf823b

Any opinions? Favorites? Good sources? etc?

Re: Cheap Solder Paste

Reply #1
well i think it's the perfect time to order it as when summer starts you can bet those packages will hit 50-60C easily in different transport containers .. so getting solder paste in winter might be the the good idea :D

Reply #2
I use that exact Mechanic soldering paste, never had any complaints about it, seems to work fine for me, flows pretty good, but not as good as the Kester stuff.

Reply #5
I got a few of those from Deal Extreme some years ago.  They do have tin balls, but the tubs dries out very quickly and the paste 'pops' a lot during reflow even after a long pre-heat so half my parts usually ends up somewhere else on the pcb :-)

It might work better with a proper reflow temp profile...

Reply #6
i purchased solder paste from ebay twice, both times it was without solder (not that one). now when I don't see then percentages of tin and lead I assume it's flux only

Reply #7
I like the logic of buying the paste that actually gives the metal content - I went ahead and bought some of the Mechanics - thanks guys!

I bought some 63/37 thin solder from ebay awhile ago - it certainly wasn't anything close to 63/37 - it pretty much turned into plastic smelling paste when melted - so its good to hear the Mechanics stuff actually might be solder...

Reply #8
[quote author="arhi"]i purchased solder paste from ebay twice, both times it was without solder (not that one). now when I don't see then percentages of tin and lead I assume it's flux only[/quote]

The Amtech?, I bought an 5pack with amtech solder paste, no solder at all, but flux. The flux itself is good to use (I like it atleast), but no tin inside it.
I bought similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271137159147
I complained to the seller that this was no tin, now it seems everyone actually calls it flux.

Reply #9
Mechanic soldering paste

Sjaak got me some of this. I left it out, he keeps it in the fridge. I cracked it open for the reflow oven and hot plate tests and placed with tweezers and  it seemed to work great.

In Shenzhen I bought a big tub of "Sparkle" paste that was stored in a fridge properly. I froze it before bringing it home, and have stored it in the fridge (in a bag or two) since. I googled it and found it is 6x/3x tin lead made in Japan. The Japan part I highly doubt for this particular one at 70 or 90RMD (12-14 bucks), but I will try it to day with teh dispenser when the air compressor arrives.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #11
[quote author="neslekkim"][quote author="arhi"]
The Amtech?, I bought an 5pack with amtech solder paste, no solder at all, but flux. The flux itself is good to use (I like it atleast), but no tin inside it.
I bought similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271137159147
I complained to the seller that this was no tin, now it seems everyone actually calls it flux.[/quote][/quote]

Even if you go for Amtech Flux (as distinct from solder paste) on ebay or Dx, it's all fake, not real Amtech, the real stuff is fairly expensive

Reply #13
I use the same Lodestar paste from Deal Extreme. Once opened, you have to keep it in the fridge. Did some boards this week with it, it flowed perfectly even after being opened 6 months ago. But of course I wouldn't use it for manufacturing purposes, but cheap & good enough for prototypes.

Reply #14
Any idea if soldering paste for pneumatic dispensers should be thinned out or something? I can't get it to dispense even at 100 PSI.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.