Skip to main content
Topic: Cheap Solder Paste (Read 25071 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cheap Solder Paste

Reply #30
Great info. I've never actually done it with a toothpick, I use my tweezers in the same way I'd use a toothpick though and find it difficult with the fluxes I have available.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #31
[quote author="ian"]I find the toothpick unreasonably difficult :)[/quote]

You got a machine, I only got my hands.. :)

Reply #32
I was few time close to purchasing a dispenser but a proper air compressor was always a problem. It's not that they are expensive as you can get a great one for 200eur, problem is that darn thing is big and loud...

Cheap Solder Paste

Reply #33
[quote author="arhi"]I was few time close to purchasing a dispenser but a proper air compressor was always a problem. It's not that they are expensive as you can get a great one for 200eur, problem is that darn thing is big and loud...[/quote]

As I mentioned in Ian's dispenser forum, take a look at ex dental units, they run quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reply #35
I plan to seek a dental unit. My little 6L compressor (109Eur) takes up less room than my tower PC case or (smallish) laser printer. It is, however, deafening. I'm sure the downstairs neighbors love it too :) For that reason I only get to use it noon to 5, so I know I'm never annoying anyone.

Agree that a 24L compressor is a beast. I was not allowed to have it in the office by the powers that be :D

Reply #37
[quote author="ian"] For that reason I only get to use it noon to 5, so I know I'm never annoying anyone.[/quote]

:D :D :D

Here the "quiet time" is 13-17 so in those 4 hours you can't make noise (and between 22 and 07)

Reply #38
Could you get a large air tank like this: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-gal-ho ... 915200000P  (or maybe bigger) and fill that durring the daytime and use it to dispense paste at night?? It would be quiet, and at least extend your working hours a bit.

Reply #40
[quote author="ian"]I plan to seek a dental unit. My little 6L compressor (109Eur) takes up less room than my tower PC case or (smallish) laser printer. It is, however, deafening. I'm sure the downstairs neighbors love it too :) For that reason I only get to use it noon to 5, so I know I'm never annoying anyone.

Agree that a 24L compressor is a beast. I was not allowed to have it in the office by the powers that be :D[/quote]

You can buy rubbermats at the local diy to place under washingmachines to dampen the vibrations. Also planning to drive to baco friday afternoon

Reply #41
What is the minimum psi dispenser works at ?

I was planning to try to use a small, very quiet compressor and hand made air tank but the max pressure I can have is 30psi and that sounds kinda low :(

Reply #42
If you need a quiet compressor, you can use an old Freon compressor from a refrigerator, a/c unit or water cooler. I have one made out of an old refrigerator compressor that I salvaged. They're super quiet.

Here's a youtube video showing what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jOcLdZXRRs

I used the exact same air tank that he has that I got at Lowes for $49 on sale.

Reply #43
I am using about 40-50psi, but if your paste is fluxie enough I think it works down to 20psi or so. The cheap Mechanic paste (back on topic!) certainly works at 20PSI.

Reply #44
The Mechanic, does it exists only in tubs?, not in syringes ?