Skip to main content
Topic: Silent death of free (PCB) shipping at Seeed (Read 7449 times) previous topic - next topic

Silent death of free (PCB) shipping at Seeed

Just tried to place a >$50 PCB ("Fusion") order with Seeed and it appears that they've done away with free, slow shipping.  To compound the problem, paying for the same age-old, slow (and by slow I mean 10-21 days) ChinaPost-to-USPS isn't an option anymore either.

Cheapest shipping is now ~$25 for a ~$60 order of PCBs.

I looked all over their blog for an announcement about this and didn't find any.  There's a note on their Free Shipping banner that says that "Propagate" is excluded.  However "Propagate" != "Fusion", but correctness/specificity doesn't seem to matter as Fusion is definitely impacted.

Also notable is that PCB orders mixed with off-the-shelf product purchases (even over $50) poison the free shipping on that part of the order, so you have to place separate orders for your Fusion and non-Fusion items, unless you want only the most expensive shipping options.

The same order at Itead would net-out to $140 vs $130 at Seeed, so that's not a Plan B.

The lack of a more reasonable shipping option precipitated my looking in the Forums for other options, and we think that it's time to finally give someone else a try, perhaps Smart Prototyping, as @matseng has suggested.

Re: Silent death of free (PCB) shipping at Seeed

Reply #1
What about hackvana, how do they compare?

Reply #2
[quote author="neslekkim"]What about hackvana, how do they compare?[/quote]
I haven't gotten a quote back from Mitch yet.  How the two stack up usually ends up depending on the particulars of one's board size, so YMMV.

Reply #3
This was the reason my most recent order went to Elecrow who have dropped the price of green 10x10cm panels to $15.90. It did require a redesign as Elecrow were not as permissive on long slots separating pseudopanels.

Reply #4
Thanks for pointing them out -- I hadn't heard of them before.  Except for the special that you mentioned, their price structure at first look appears to be pretty much the same as Seeed's with a few minor twists.  I'll have to give them a closer look also, especially since they also have a stencil service.

Reply #5
Good day Just a heads up...

Sadly, I received several notices from Shipping Companies that their rates are going up by at least 5% in 2014... I say at least, as they typically raise the rate and then charge a "fuel surcharge fee"... even though the cost of fuel has been relatively stable for over 6 months!  Here in Canada, our Postal system (Canada Post) just announced huge rate increases...  Letter rates up about 60% and so I suspect that parcel rates will increase dramatically as well.

Cheers,

Sam

Silent death of free (PCB) shipping at Seeed

Reply #6
I use iteadstudio and really like their service.  Postage does quickly get expensive though as pcbs are heavy.  Their 5x5 service is about $14 for 10 boards shipped to Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reply #7
In other words if I place an order that costs >$50 and includes only PCBs the cheapest shipping cost is $25!!! It's not free as was before???

And If I place a PCB order (with a cost of $25 for example) and other stuffs (with a cost of $40 for example) I still have to pay $25 for shipping? Even if they are saying "Free shipping anywhere in the world for orders over $50"?

Reply #8
From memory my recent order from Elecrow for 20x 100x100x1.6 mm boards plus a few other bits and bobs included $17 shipping cost. They are pretty transparent, it's something like $2 plus $1.80 for every 100g.

Reply #9
[quote author="Elpis"]In other words if I place an order that costs >$50 and includes only PCBs the cheapest shipping cost is $25!!! It's not free as was before???

And If I place a PCB order (with a cost of $25 for example) and other stuffs (with a cost of $40 for example) I still have to pay $25 for shipping? Even if they are saying "Free shipping anywhere in the world for orders over $50"?[/quote]

Bottom line is that any order containing any "Fusion" PCBs don't seem to qualify for free shipping, no matter how much other stuff you buy.  You're better off splitting the PCB order out separately and getting free shipping for the off-the-shelf items, and the minimum weight premium shipping order with just the PCBs in them.  I suppose you could always try to contact them directly and try to talk them into extending the free shipping for a large enough order to include your PCBs, but you'd have to try to do that offline through Customer Support.

If you look, there is an exception noted in the banner ad for "Free shipping anywhere in the world for orders over $50".  But the more exhaustive documentation elsewhere about shipping hasn't been updated with this exclusion.  And it also explicitly excludes "Propagate", which also seems to include "Fusion", which is the regular prototype PCB service.  I think that Propagate is their kitting service.

Like I said, maybe they can't eat the cost of shipping anymore -- but the lack of a more reasonably priced shipping service is the brutal part.  Shipping on $100 worth of 120 5x5cm boards is ~$31, for example.

Reply #10
Well as I was saying in the other post, it's now $9.90 for 5 boards at Seeed (see pic), whereas it used to be 10 for that price. To me that means the price has doubled. Oddly though, if you select 10 pieces, it doesn't show any extra price, so it's a bit odd.

Reply #11
They are not offering tracking shipping either? Or somehow a mistake happened to my order?

I've order a couple of stuffs a week+ ago. In three days my order get the update "Processing" and then "Order was Traceable" and finally "Order was shipped". Was trackable and was shipped? Why "was" and not "is"?
But until now I can't find any tracking number nor I've receive any email that is saying that my order is trackable and the tracking number is that (a normal process in my previous orders)!

I've sent them a mail about that on Monday morning. Now it's Saturday and no answer so far...

Reply #12
Likely "was" was just a trouble in the translation. Usually the email about being traceable contains a link to the tracking area.
 It's a pity to see that they are still slow at responding (at least in the past year), Eric did say they were improving, but sounds like they still have a way to go. I assume you checked your Spam filter, though the fact you got the other emails suggests that isn't the problem.  Let us know how you go.

Reply #13
[quote author="Sleepwalker3"]Likely "was" was just a trouble in the translation[/quote]

That was my first guess as well but I've start to worry a little bit after no answer came back...

[quote author="Sleepwalker3"]It's a pity to see that they are still slow at responding (at least in the past year), Eric did say they were improving, but sounds like they still have a way to go[/quote]

Yes, they are still slow... actually they are really slow!!!!! A week (and still no answer) for a simple question like "may I have the tracking number of this order" is tooooo much!!!

[quote author="Sleepwalker3"]I assume you checked your Spam filter, though the fact you got the other emails suggests that isn't the problem.  Let us know how you go.[/quote]

Yes, my spam filter is fine! I am also checking the spam mails occasionally in order to check for good mails. But I've received many mails from SeeedStudio over the last year os so.

Reply #14
Yeah, unfortunately I've heard it from a number of people in the past year. It's a real shame, as all my dealings with them in the past (up till about July 2012) had been fantastic and they were fast to reply to anything. I hope they get it together soon.