Skip to main content
Topic: Freescale Freedom Dev board, $13 (Read 3641 times) previous topic - next topic

Freescale Freedom Dev board, $13

Has anybody played with one of these?  For $13 (Digi-Key) you get:

- 48Mhz ARM
  -128K flash, 16K SRAM
- USB OTG
- Capacitive touch slider
- RGB LED

Not bad for less than half the price of an Arduino.  I'd be curious to know what the dev toolchain is like (and if you can get something workable for free).

Re: Freescale Freedom Dev board, $13

Reply #1
The Cortex-M0+ is an interesting core, but AFAIK none of the open-source tools support on-board debugger interface (but the interface itself should be open, so it's "only" a matter of implementation), and SWD support is still experimental at best, so it looks pretty much Windows-only at the moment.

Reply #2
[quote author="andersm"]The Cortex-M0+ is an interesting core, but AFAIK none of the open-source tools support on-board debugger interface[/quote]

I thought M0 used the same jtag interface as the M3's?

From the family datasheet:

100 percent compatible with ARM Cortex-M0 and a subset ARM Cortex-M3/M4: Reuse existing
compilers and debug tools

I'm assuming this means you can reuse existing cortex debuggers, so you should be able to use a JTAG OCD (bus blaster, etc), no?

Reply #3
Look at the linked to board specs, it has a built-in debug interface called OpenSDA. And while you can use an external debugger, the Cortex-M0 and M0+ support only SWD, not JTAG, and OpenOCD support for SWD is still under development.

Reply #4
Who says you have to use OpenOCD?  There is a working Linux port for st-link which is SWD.  While I haven't specifically tried it on other M cores from NXP, Freescale, etc.  There shouldn't be a reason why it wouldn't work.

Reply #5
No-one, it's just the most common setup. However I do believe the OpenOCD project merged the ST-Link code. Anyway, if that works, great!

Reply #6
try CooCox IDE (google Coocox FReescale)

and i found out there is an open-source GCC for M0+ but no implementation of open-source GDB, and nothing for now for linux(only OpenSDA MSD is available - buggy), if anyone can find about open source GDB for FRDM KL25Z Please Post :)

Although for windows Coocox IDE works fine and its free , moreover 128KB code limit, CodeWarrier SE is available from FREESCALE.

Reply #7
Come on, everyone knows that freedom isn't free!

I destroyed mine with ESD after playing around with it for 15 minutes.  I'm not usually prone to destroying dev boards like that, so it may be fairly sensitive.