Skip to main content
Topic: Interface Arduino with GPS, accelerometer, gyro, ecc (Read 21668 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Interface Arduino with GPS, accelerometer, gyro, ecc

Reply #15
The above are some general info. You can use whatever floats your boat ;) Especially considering that Kalman Filtering will probably take a lot of time, better to look at some boards that will have ease of programming.

Funny thing: Bee board is actually an Arduino board! It has an Atmega 328 @ 16 MHz, an FTDI IC for cumputer com + programming. On the webpage they even have the tutorials to setup Arduino IDE and some starter codes.

Also about the ArduPilot kit. That does not include a magnetometer. But for both kits you can hack the I2C port to connect more sensors ;)

Reply #16
Finally, we have chosen to buy a something like Daisy7 platform (a kit where I have to merge datas) and something that has a owner software (sbg ig 500).
Now I'm thinking that I can use also an odometer, to increase stability of positioning.
If I wanted to install it on a car it should be easy: I can link it to a wheel, counting wheel cycle.
But I have to install this system for trekking: a solution can be a pedometer, but it isn't too accurate.
Another solution is "reading" the ground to calculate distance and velocity, as a mouse of a pc.
There are 2 possibilities:
1) with the same principle of a optical mouse, interpreting the light reflected from the ground
2) with the same principle of a modern optical mouse, interpreting the image captured by the camera, correlating it with the distance traveled
Do you think can it be possible? Does exist already something for this?
Thanks
Stiv

Reply #17
Any answer?

Reply #18
Sounds pretty complicated to me. I doubt there is anything off the shelf you can add to your [s:]Arduino[/s:] Daisy7 that will do this.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #19
[quote author="stivbigs"]1) with the same principle of a optical mouse, interpreting the light reflected from the ground[/quote]
This probably won't do it as optical mouses have to be on the surface, they have a pretty limited working height.

[quote author="stivbigs"]2) with the same principle of a modern optical mouse, interpreting the image captured by the camera, correlating it with the distance traveled[/quote]
Well, if you are planning to use a camera, you'll have to use a computer which can do image processing and use an optical flow algorithm to determine the speed. But you have to know your height from the ground somehow for this to work as what you get is speed in terms of pixels, you have to use trigonometry in order to change this to m/s.

Reply #20
Yes, I thinks so.
But it would be a project that has to be developed.
I want to try if I can increase the precision of my IMU with a odometer.
The odometer can be a pedometer (I think a bit inaccurate), a cycle wheel or a camera. Then, if the precision increase significantly, I will develop a better odometer. But first of all I want to test my IMU with this "self made" odometer, that can be a pedometer, a cycle wheel or a camera.
The best it would be to actualize an odometer with a camera, as newer optical mouses.
I have two possibilities: or I make the software myself or I can take the system of a mouse, but I don't know how to realize it. Do you know where I can find the software of an optical mouse. Or do you have other suggestions?
To answer to you: I would attach it to the belt of a person, triyng to be quite stable. I would use a small netbook to process all.
Thanks
Stiv

Reply #21
There are some optical mouse tear-downs and tutorials around. There are so many good ones I couldn't pick just one, so here's my search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=optical+mouse+hack
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #22
Thanks, Ian, I have already read about some of it, but it's very interesting, but I have the problem that the sensor is at an higer height from the ground.

Reply #23
I have written something about on optical flow sensor at viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4059