Skip to main content
Topic: DP Part Ninja (Read 79229 times) previous topic - next topic

DP Part Ninja

Well since the free PCBs started arriving, I think its a good time to start a separate thread for the Part Ninja.

Part Ninja V1 is a electronic component testing tool. It identifies electronic components like transistors and FETs, determines the pinout, and measures basic specifications. Several SMD footprints are included so surface mount parts can be tested too.

Only a few pins and resistors are needed for the transistor tester, so we used the extra PIC hardware to add extra features. A voltage reference along with the PIC’s comparators should help us measure capacitors somewhat accurately. In many designs there are dead spots where resistor measurements are not accurate – we added an extra resistor ladder with a wide range of values to compensate.

*Determines pinouts and key values for transistors, resistors, capacitors, diodes and more
    *PCB that is the same width of a 2×16 44780 character display
    *Has a small area where SMD components (SOT23, 1206, 0805, 0603, 0402) can be tested
    *PWM generation on two pins for advanced testing
    *Comparators on two pins for advanced capacitor measurement

This is just our first development prototype to get familiar with how semiconductor testers work. This design borrows heavily from other DIY testers, such as the AVR Transistor Tester. We hope to develop it further into a simple-to-use semiconductor tester and LCR meter, then release it as a project at Seeed.
best regards FIlip.

Re: DP Part Ninja

Reply #1
looking forward to a release on Seeed.
Really interested in this project.

when will that happen?

Reply #2
I'm waiting too, I have loads of components to measure with this.

Reply #3
Oh man me too! I would really like to help in this project.

I got myself a pickit2 so I might just start breadboarding the testing circuit and uart; I might be able to utilize what I have (and am) learning with AVR component tester im working on (http://code.google.com/p/avr-component-tester/ although not my original project; im 're-visiting it').

For example I had some thoughts; a good practice the ACT project uses is it basicly has these stages:

1) Probing -> It tests the pins and figures out which pins are connected, which arnt, and so on..
2) Measuring -> With what was found above it starts measuring resistance, capacitance, and flow on each pin.
3) Identifying -> By the end of stage's 1 & 2 it has basicly generated a bunch of true/false variables, and measurment variables. using that data it starts going down the list until it finds the part that most fits what it found.

I think thats pretty slick; but I really think what I called the 'true/false' statements could be alot smarter. I think there should be a nice big struct of tons of different characteristics. Even ones that perhaps arnt needed; it would be nice to populate what can be. Then imagin being able to export all that data you found on your specific target via uart. That would be pretty sweet :3

This device will have UART correct? along with an LCD? Because I know one thing the ACT is missing (in the current hardware; unless I want to utilize software uart that is..) is the ability to test and get results via uart. I thought it would be cool to be able to send 'TEST' to uart and it spit out data; connect the next one 'TEST',...

Just a couple thoughts.

Reply #4
I'd also like to see the new additions to the project. But probably I can't join in the development 'coz I'm not familiar with PIC. I'm fine with AVR.
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #5
[quote author="arupbsk"]I'd also like to see the new additions to the project. But probably I can't join in the development 'coz I'm not familiar with PIC. I'm fine with AVR.[/quote]

Off topic I know. I am also a AVR user (as im sure your aware). I highly reccomend you get yourself a cheap PICKIT2 clone off ebay and start learning pics. when I started working on the bus pirate (up until i got the pickit2 and did it myself really) even just working in MPLAB on somone elses project; it still seemed very forgien but with my AVR and C background I was still able to code in it and contribute; if not a little. But man; once i actually started a project myself from the ground up I had bit banging down within 20 minutes; I had UART going within an hour; I had peripheral port select going within minutes of UART, and so on...

Really everything begins to make sense when you start your own project; then of course once it makes sense you just start knowing how to solve issues that arrise without needing to stick your face into the datasheet for an hour...

Trust me. Get into both. The peripherals available on a PIC; the AVR just cant compete... Even once I have PICs down as well as I have AVRs; I will still utilize AVRs for some projects (the speed!) but generally speaking PICs have more MCU's available that will fit yoour projects better and there also cheaper.... plus it doesnt hurt to know both

my two cents :3

Reply #6
[quote author="BrentBXR"]I highly reccomend you get yourself a cheap PICKIT2 clone off ebay and start learning pics.
Trust me. Get into both. The peripherals available on a PIC; the AVR just cant compete... Even once I have PICs down as well as I have AVRs; I will still utilize AVRs for some projects (the speed!) but generally speaking PICs have more MCU's available that will fit yoour projects better and there also cheaper.... plus it doesnt hurt to know bothmy two cents :3[/quote]
Once I built Ian's JDM2 PIC programmer viewtopic.php?f=48&p=28295 for programming an 18f2550, then used the 18f2550 to make a PK2 clone. All just for programming the 24fj64 in my Buspirate free PCB. In January I sold the PK2 and for programming PICs I have the old JDM2 in my drawer. For my PIC stock, I have a 16f72 and HA3089 from dead UPS's. I'll try to learn the 1/0 of PIC after I buy a PC (with legacy ports) probably in April. AVR is known to me and I find Atmega8 to be cheap and powerful with various features. Is there any near cost or cheaper PIC which have ADC and comes in DIP28? 3 days ago I bought some cheap atmegas from eBay @ $1.1/pc. Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300667107714
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #7
I got a couple of pic24e from mouser for 4$ a piece. they go upto 70 mips and have a 1.1 megasample per s ADC.

but if you look for pic24fj they are in the 1-2$ range, only 16mips and 500ksamples..a bit more expensive then n avrmega but it has a lot of peripherals in hw (and dynamic pin assignment!)

Reply #8
Hey guys I updated the board with some changes

-Move to a bigger PCB 100mm x 60mm with mounting holes.
-Testing area has more room now and with additional labels
-Trimmer is now on the bottom. The first design was facing backwards :(
-Add header for external probes. Female header for direct part testing and Male header for external probes connection.
-Drill diameter for the LCD holes are now much bigger (2.8mm)
-version is now (v1a)

Reply #9
great design but board is pretty nightmare do manufactre at home.

Reply #10
[quote author="Loki"]great design but board is pretty nightmare do manufactre at home.[/quote]
Yeah, because of the vias under IC.
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #11
There are holes in the ground plane around the crystal, in both versions. Nothing critical but they will trap chemicals, just paste some track over them.

Anyone have pictures of one assembled yet?

Reply #12
[quote author="Loki"]great design but board is pretty nightmare do manufactre at home.[/quote]

DIY friendly design takes more time and effort, and since this is only a 1st stage of the development, we didn't think it was necessary....

We might(not saying we will) make a through hole DIY friendly version..
best regards FIlip.

Reply #13
I'm hoping the Ninja wil be able to characterise a transistor to this level
Part Number    BC856A
Product Type    PNP
VCEO    65
IC   0.1
ICM    0.2
PD    0.3
hFE Min.    125
hFE  IC    0.002
VCE (SAT) Max.    300
VCE (SAT) IC/IB    0.01/0.5
VCE (SAT) Max.2    650
VCE (SAT) IC/IB2    0.1/5
MHz    200

I'd post a link but its not allowed

Reply #14
Not at all Neon22
The part ninja measures (better say designed to measure) the practical values that is seen by probing and checking voltage levels. it can never reply with any exact part number.
Still learning
-Arup