Skip to main content
Topic: I just bought this, and you what did you buy ? (Read 165835 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I just bought this, and you what did you buy ?

Reply #105
I take it you didn't get your raspberries from RS ?
I'm still waiting for an order placed in June ..

Reply #106
No, I ordered from newark/farnell/element14. I think I was lucky they had some in stock!

Reply #107
LEDssssss

3mm
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #108
Couldn't help myself... Bought some IN7b and IN15b symbol nixies. I came back from Maker Faire all charged up about them and hit ebay for IN2 sockets and ended up with 15 new tubes :D Numbers are more and more expensive (clocks), but the symbol tubes are cheap cause nobody wants them. Well I want them, they're my favorites!
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #109
Maybe you need to look into a 12 step program or something to help you with this addiction :)

Reply #110
at some point in the future, Ian will be able to heat his lab with nixie power!

Reply #111
[quote author="dolabra"]Maybe you need to look into a 12 step program or something to help you with this addiction :)[/quote]
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]at some point in the future, Ian will be able to heat his lab with nixie power![/quote]
I feel like we need a "like" or "+1" button for forum posts. :D

Reply #112
[quote author="tayken"]I feel like we need a "like" or "+1" button for forum posts. :D[/quote]
SNS virus invitation :P :P
Still learning
-Arup

Reply #113
I have these boards:
[attachment=2]This is an STMicro eval board with the accelerometer.

This is the other STMicro board I got over the summer:
[attachment=1]

And this is my Beaglebone that I will use as an NTP server.  This was supposed to be my summer project, but I couldn't get all the parts I needed in stock all at once. <sigh>  I'm afraid this will be prologue when I get my Pi in a month.

[attachment=0]

Reply #114
[quote author="artg"]I take it you didn't get your raspberries from RS ?
I'm still waiting for an order placed in June ..[/quote]

I had two on order. One from RS and the other from Element 14. the latter order arrived in three weeks. Still waiting for the RS one to arrive (ordered June).

I suggest you set an alert in the Element 14 for the Pi. when the alert is triggered place an order.

Reply #115
[attachment=0]
Ohh yeahhh :)

[attachment=1]
Mhm!

[attachment=2]
One of the first things I have done with this so far is fix my camera. I bought a cheap SD card that fell apart in the slot, leaving some plastic bits behind. After some picking around with a needle and the microscope, I was able to fetch most of the parts.

Reply #116
Allright!  I've got the same microscope!  I bought it with both the x10 and x20 eyepices, but I'm only using the x10 and I wish that I selected 5x and 10x instead...

It's a rather nice microscope, but the built-in light is a total piece of junk - it got all the brightness of a cigarette lighter :-) So I currently use a IKEA LED lamp.  Maybe some day I'll make some better solution for the lightning...

[attachment=0]

Reply #117
I have that too. I too added some lamps. To be able to work on some big boards that I have, I had to the base around to make a bigger work area. Of course, this made it necessary to use a high tech microscope stbilizing device (i.e. a stone) on top of the base. I could have used the industrial made super high tech product (a brick), but the stone look nicer and reminds me to keep the down to earth attitude.

Reply #118
I agree with all the light comments, the included light is more useful as a hand warmer than an actual light. :P I mean, it gets hot, VERY hot, after only ten minute of use. I am going to stick a high power led in there or make my own led ring thing for this microscope.

Also, one bad thing about this microscope is that it falls over if you rotate it too far. I will also think up of some extremely advanced method of keeping it up right! And for some reason the left eyepiece fogs up after a few minutes of looking through, while the right one stays fine, it is so weird.

How much did you guys pay for yours? Mine was $200, hopefully I did not get ripped off, but it does seem to be high quality, with the all metal construction and whatnot.

And lastly, I got the one that has the 5x eyepieces and 10x eyepieces, but I will email the company in hopes of exchanging the 10x eye pieces for the 40x eye pieces, which cost only four dollars more.

Reply #119
I bought mine from eBay back in 2009 and paid $180 for the scope plus $109 for the shipping to Dubai.  So it seems to be about the same price today.

40x?  Are you going to do surgery on fruit flies or something like that? My x10 gives me a very narrow field of view, I can't image how it would be just seeing 1/4 of that on the PCB...