Skip to main content
Topic: I just bought this, and you what did you buy ? (Read 165835 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I just bought this, and you what did you buy ?

Reply #136
[quote author="hak8or"]
I am loving the SMD LED display, anyone know if these are available for a reasonable price off Digikey or Mouser?[/quote]
mouser
Looks like you'll pay more for the SMD equivalent to PTH.  Digikey also has some, for about a buck more. just search for 7 segment ;-)

Reply #137
I didn't bought it but I received it as a birthday present from my girlfriend =D

[attachment=0]

Reply #138
A kitchen hood from IKEA, all 39€:

She said that before I bake another board in my pizza SMD reflow oven, I must arrange smell removal. I kind of agree, so this goes to my lab over the table* where the oven will be with a duct out of window.

*: next thing to buy: a table for the SMD oven.

Reply #139
I ran across a laminator on sale for $14 at my local Tesco store so I had to get it and see if I can hack it to accept PCB's.  With a bit of luck it will give me better results than the regular ironing method.

[attachment=0]

Reply #140
[quote author="matseng"]I ran across a laminator on sale for $14 at my local Tesco store so I had to get it and see if I can hack it to accept PCB's.  With a bit of luck it will give me better results than the regular ironing method.[/quote]

This made a huge difference when i finally switched from a clothes iron (I found a GBC laminator on ebay).  To get mine to accept PCB's , I only had to take off the cover.  The rollers are on some really strong springs which have a fair amount of travel.  At first, I was putting a little piece of wire between them (and not bunch up the paper), but with thicker photo paper, this turned out to be unnecessary.

Reply #141
This one feeds 1.6mm boards just fine but the temperature is too low.

The bi-metallic thermostat is a 102C (215F) -version so I'll probably just replace it with a small uC using a diode as tempsensor together  transformerless power supply and a triac for bang-bang regulation - should be easy.

I'm not sure what the limit of the thermal fuse is, it probably needs to to be replaced with a higher temp fuse or removed altogether. The laminator will be supervised when in use so I really don't care about the possible fire hazard...

Reply #142
Just received my teensy 3.0! It's so small! =D

[attachment=0]

Reply #143
[attachment=1]
I wonder what this is!

[attachment=0]
Yaehhhh!!! This bad boy runs Planetside 2 maxed out, BF3 maxed out, realflow runs like a charm on it, and the boost in ram from upgrading my entire lets me alt tab with no remorse. Heck, even cycles has improved a bit when running on the GPU. Cinebench gives me a bump from 2.57 to 5.65. This is not even overclocked! Currentl I am using the lame stock cooler, need to clean my water cooling loop first and make a mount for LGA 1155, as my super old apooge GT was designed for LGA 775.

Reply #144
last a few weeks ago, I ordered Bus Blaster v2 from Seeed, my favorite open hardware facilitator and supplier. I explorer the world of embedded and this tool will help me a lot.

Luckily, it was a 4th annual birthday of Seed and I also got a Seed T shirt and solar charger shield as special mysterious gift. Thanks to Seeed. Sure, I will make a renewable energy project with this shield.

And bought from local supplier, DSPIC 30F4011, 16F628A, 16F676, crystals, switches, Big ass buzzers, TIP122, TIP120 etc

Reply #145
cool I received Monday my new Mega 2560 from Seeed !

so here the story, i'm working (very) slowly on a little project where i need a small  hbrige and few io, 
so long time ago i got one clone Mega1280 ... it sat in the drawer for a while and i started to use it
with the hbrige project ... 

I look at Atmega1280's spec and i was please with the 6 timers available, so my thoughts were, to use
counters 4 and 5 to count external io events ... 

so... DUH ! what the hell ! 
the arduino mega 1280 and 2560 don't have all cpu pins connected to headers!
rendering 2 timers blinds of external events  !

that is not good in my "open" hardware set of rules / wishes ...
-giving access to all cpu function pins is a must !
what the hell ! 

so i start to look around and found Seeed Studio Mega2560
witch has all pins routed to headers ! and keep the standart Uno header layout.
so i spent $$$ and got it ...
so i guest my next move will be soldering headers tonight :-)

so again please keep in mind that "open" products are more fun when they are versatile and hackable  :o)

[attachment=0]

Reply #146
Red board,yelow header combo looks cool
best regards FIlip.

Reply #147
[quote author="arakis"]Red board,yelow header combo looks cool[/quote]

yep it looks good  :o)
and it got 5v - 3.3v switch, fun when you want to match your sensor voltage...
but more important you got 16 more pins connected to the cpu !
now i got complete timers functionality !!!

Reply #149
How much did the soldering iron kit cost? The tip in the last picture looks TINY!

Any possible upcoming review? :)

I got a bunch of USB cables from monoprice, but everyone knows what USB cables look like so I don't think the pictures would be that interesting. :P