Skip to main content
Topic: I just bought this, and you what did you buy ? (Read 165835 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I just bought this, and you what did you buy ?

Reply #120
I want to be able to eventually look at chips I decap. :P Besides, I will still have the 5x eye pieces, so I can use that for more general stuff. Not to mention that I have a larger interest in photo lithography for not only PCB's but super small stuff, in the hundreds of nano meters

Though, I think I may need even higher magnification for that...

Reply #121
i ordered this, haven't got it yet but i will post a review.  the integrated power supply that caught my interest, just hope its worth the money.  It is model 8080.

Reply #122
I just received a TPA6138A2PW to go with my free headphone amplifier PCB! Thanks DP!
squalyl/seb from openmakersdaily

Reply #123
I recently got a stereo scope (used leica for sub $200) and love it, makes SMD work nearly trivial. Only thing it does not have a light source, so I need to come up with a good solution to that, on the cheap of course...

Re: Stereo microscope

Reply #124
On the stereo microscope, how's the depth of field (how tall can an object be so the top and bottom are in clear focus?) and the field of view (can you move your eyes to look around the view or is it like looking through a soda straw?)

I use a loupe to see the writing on SMD's but the depth of field is only a couple millimeters so it's only good for inspection, not close-up work. I also have a swing-arm magnifying glass with lower magnification (with that it has a deeper depth-of-field, and of course the field-of-view is quite large) that's pretty good, but the swing-arm setup is not ideal to move around.

Reply #125
I am eagerly awaiting a review of the power supply, and hopefully a teardown of sorts! :P Do you have an oscilloscope, and if so, will you use it to see the ripple on the power supply?

For the headphone amplifier, do you use any hi-fi ish headphones like the 595's? The THD seems a bit low, at 0.01 %, but I have yet to actually test if I myself can hear the difference between 0.05% vs 0.002%.

And for the microscope, I feel terrible for having such a bad picture end up on the front page of DP! I will try to get a better picture later today when I get back from class. The DOF seems to be perfectly adequate for soldering, though at 20x magnification your hand jitters become a major visible problem. So, the DOF seems to be maybe half thickness of a plain 0603 resistor. I will give you a measurement later today if you want me to. the FOV is not too large, but you can move your eyes a bit to see everything. It is nowhere like looking through a soda straw though. Off the top of my head, I think the FOV would be maybe 2/5th of what is possible with one eye looking forwards. I don't really know how to give you a FOV number or comparison, sorry. But it is enough to easily see a good bit of a 0603 component and the surrounding PCB.

For reading the letters on IC's I do not think a stereo microscope is what you want. A major component of seeing the letters is the angle of light, and with this microscope that I bought you can change the angle of light only a little. I use this,

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Microscope ... =loupe+60x, for magnification of letters and small stuff. The working distance is horrific, but the light is extremely powerful and magnification is quite high, so it is worth a shot to try out, especially given how cheap it is.

Reply #126
Looking again, there are some slight differences, so I might not have the exact same unit. Mine is a C2-D microscope from GX Optical (in US, they are called GT Vision). I paid about 230 UK pounds, including shipping, about a year ago. Anyway, I use 5x for hand SMD work, and I find that to be ideal: magnification is big enough that the limiting factor is my hand, not seeing what I'm doing, and the field is big enough. The optical quality is good, never felt that limited by that. I actually went down to my cellar lab and took some measurements. Using 5x:
Width of vision: 30mm max, 15-20mm usable (not a Mantis but quite ok. Still, you never have enough)
Depth of vision: 10mm sharp, blurry but usable about 25mm (more than enough)
Vertical work room under the lens: 200mm (great!)
After turning and stabilizing the base, 200mm horizontal work room to the base. (In other words, if I have a board 500x500mm board, I can't work at the center using he microscope. Hasn't happen yet.)

I'm still happy with the unit.

Reply #127
Personaly I went for something a bit bigger....

Four working pick and place machines ( look for Philips CSM and "petlock" on google ) for a ridiculous price in the UK, now I need to find a cheap way to bring some of them back to Switzerland where I live.

I managed to get all the user & service manuals for them... I can't wait to try and play with these bad boys :D

If some of you guys are interested in one of them, you can contact me ;)

Reply #128
Limpkin wins! :)

Reply #129
[quote author="JuKu"]Limpkin wins! :)[/quote]
Yep! I would've asked one of them but Japanese houses are tiny!

Reply #130
lol thanks :D

I'm expecting the shipping for one machine to switzerland to be ~the same price I bought the 4 machines!

Reply #131
[quote author="tayken"][quote author="JuKu"]Limpkin wins! :)[/quote]
Yep! I would've asked one of them but Japanese houses are tiny![/quote]

You can live inside the machine when it is not operated. :D

Reply #132
You can also arrange the machines in a triangular fashion and stick a piece of plywood on top and live in the most precisely engineered and awesome house ever. :P

How much did even one of the machines cost? Were they sold as is or working? And yes, you win. :(

If we are indeed having a competition here, we shall not go down without a fight!
[attachment=5]
I wonder what this is ... :o

[attachment=4]
First up is some RAM. It may look flimsy and cheap, but thanks to Samsung's 30nm process used for these DDR RAM chips, you can easily overclock them to at least 2 ghz with a small bump in voltage and still have tight timings. This is a little secret of the RAM world, as these are also rather cheap.

[attachment=3]
And the second box, looks good!

[attachment=2]
Here is the second box. I won this from a giveaway on OCN, overclock.net and free shipping was included. MSRP? $200 USD :D

[attachment=1]
All the paper that comes with it

[attachment=0]
And the really nice looking motherboard itself. The lame picture which was shot quickly does not do it justice, it really does look amazing.

2nd Post will have more pictures!

Reply #133
[attachment=2]
I am loving the SMD LED display, anyone know if these are available for a reasonable price off Digikey or Mouser?

[attachment=1]
Seems to be a current sense resistor of sorts, it looks very nice though.

[attachment=0]
And lastly the new electronic design magazine. Do they usually make them in squares? If you guys are interested, the magazine is free and quite good. The writing is top notch, very few advertisements compared the monstrosity of an obnoxious advert per 2 pages like Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, or even Wired.