Skip to main content
Topic: Eagle or DipTrace (Read 23411 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Eagle or DipTrace

Reply #15
Had no clue DesignSpark and PCB Artist are same company :D ... nor that Pulsonix can open those projects ... that's nice....

Proteus is ok, I personally find it very useful. I find Altium better but too expensive for hobby. For professional use I can't understand anyone using anything less then those "high end" tools as for what they offer 2-7k what they cost is "peanuts" for any commercial project. DesignSpark looked very very good, I noticed some routing capabilities of expensive tools like Altium, but it's windows only and I had some issues with it inside VirtualBox (Proteus works without problem inside VirtualBox and even works under WINE too).

For public/open projects Proteus has a serious flaw - there's not even free viewer app available and PDF just don't hold all informations a schematic holds... Unfortunately I was unable to find a tool that I like that works properly on Linux (or at least on winblows inside VBox)... so for now I'm sticking with Proteus, but for beginners I stand by the "try them all, decide for yourself, ignore everything you read on forums as fanboys are too loud and are polluted by the imposed philosophy that you might not necessarily find logical"

WOW, weird that PCB Artist don't produce gerber's, that makes it fairly unusable...

Reply #16
@Arhi
did you tried VMWare (Player) instead of Virtual Box?  VMWare Player is free and despite its name, in latest versions it's able to create virtual machines and let you play them. VB is excellent, but in graphics rendering and mouse handling, I always gote better results with VMWare than with VB. (PS. to have correct results with VMWare, you need to install the set of drivers named VMWare Tools once you finish installing your OS under VMWare).

Reply #17
[quote author="octal"]did you tried VMWare (Player) instead of Virtual Box? [/quote]

yes of course, but vbox works way better with usb pass trough and few other things

Also, I have actually better experience with vbox then with vmware when 3d is involved, I run NetFabb Studio Professional, CoCreate PE (now called Creo PE), SolidWorks under vbox without problem, while none of them work properly under vmware.

Also easypic3, pickit2, pickit3, avr dragon, avrusbasp ... none of them work properly from inside vmware, they do work but with intermittent issues... picoscope didn't work trough vmware at all (troughput not high enough for oscilloscope to work properly) etc etc ... hence I'm stuck with vbox (and I have more then 40 virtual machines on this few servers under my legs .. so adding another virtualisation platform ... not something I enjoy)

So with a chance that I'm biased (since I work for company that makes virtualbox) I find vbox to be way better for me then the vmware.

Btw DesignSpark works "generally" under VBox, depends from version to version, first version I tried worked perfectly, then there was a version that didn't work at all, latest version I tried works until you start 3d view and then it crashes... It's not that hard to make programs work properly with 3d acceleration under vbox, you only need to test them and tweak few simple things to get them run properly ... similar story is with wine too .. especially now with both dx and gl support in latest wine .. it's just that you need to "want" your app to run under wine too and it's fairly cheap to make it do so... Problem is that most companies just don't care.. I for e.g. @home have bunch of computers and apart from one OSX box everything is under Linux as windows can't fit the work I do ... in the worshop I have some old 17" asus laptop with WINXP and everything wrt electronics works great there ... that laptop was initially linux too but it's just too much hassle since 99% of electronics tools just don't work and since that laptop is for electronics only - there's really no point in running linux just to run some virtual winxp on top of it ... hence it's the only winblows machine I own :)

Reply #18
[quote author="arhi"]Had no clue DesignSpark and PCB Artist are same company :D ... nor that Pulsonix can open those projects ... that's nice..[/quote]
Yes, the people behind DesignSpark make custom versions of EasYPC for a number of PCB manufacturing houses. They also make the high end Pulsonix PCB software as well.

[quote author="arhi"]WOW, weird that PCB Artist don't produce gerber's, that makes it fairly unusable...[/quote]
They do this to tie you to that particular PCB manufacturer. Which is a shame.
Tony

Reply #19
Forgot to mention. I've used DesignSpark successfully in Microsofts Virtual PC and VMWare Player on my PC without any problems.
Tony

Reply #20
[quote author="TonyD"]Forgot to mention. I've used DesignSpark successfully in Microsofts Virtual PC and VMWare Player on my PC without any problems.[/quote]

3d view also?
I only have problem with latest version and 3d view, everything else works ok

Reply #21
I never tried the 3D viewer but I've just tried it now in VMWare Player with an XPPro virtual machine and yes it gives the same problem of not displaying the 3D image properly.

It could be a problem with the my version of XPpro in the VM as I noticed its still at service pack 2
Tony

Reply #23
Not much love for Diptrace around here?

I've been using Diptrace since 2008. I find it way easier to use than Eagle, Design spark and others I tried. It may not have as much community support and features as Eagle but its getting there. It can import Eagle files and libraries, DXFs and others. Has 3D but view only, no IGES/STP export yet.

Give it a try and it might just be your cup of tea. Ease of use is its #1 strength.

Reply #24
to Octal and Arhi... thanks for this discussion thread! It was very informative for me, someone trying to decide where to put my learning hours into a CAD package for PBCA... and I do, as does Octal, appreciate the "non-fan-boy" levelheaded approach towards the reco's. Just wanted to shout out to you with my appreciation. NNTR.

Reply #25
for open source stuff, most people seem to be headed towards KiCAD...I'll have to try diptrace as well :-)