Skip to main content
Topic: Sure Electronics PICkit 3 (Read 37981 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sure Electronics PICkit 3

Reply #15
the sure clone differs pretty much from the original pickit3 in the power supply and voltage regulators for vpp/vdd etc.
The images I was requesting are from the erdaviz user, post viewtopic.php?t=3297&p=42496#p32910
In google images showed as 5MP...
hxxp://i.lulzimg.c0m/225a2825cf.jpg
hxxp://i.lulzimg.c0m/d3b333ac69.jpg
I changed to hxxp AND c0m because the forum treated my post as spam :/

The resistor and capacitor lost are in the back side, labelled C16, R42.
Also C24 is not there, but it seems that nothing was there (no solder marks).
I think its a feedback for the VUSB_OK tag, so maybe its a simple 10k resistor and 10nF cap for stability.

Anyway, if I could get a photo of the pcb back side, it would be nice, to check if something else has drop too.
Thanks

Reply #16

Reply #17
A thousand thanks!! (better 50.000) I will see. There are more things lost from what I thought.
I was able to get it working a bit, in a strange way, still  not recognizing the pic attached and also sometimes not recognized as usb device.
I will have to check and resolder everything, maybe more components are partially soldered.

By the way, this clone has a bunch of bugs...unless you really need to save the money...get it from microchip.
At least they could have made some document for the users who had bought it could fix them themselves (VCC and VDD voltages accuracy and offsets, also the regulator for internal 3.3V gives 3.05V due bad resistor divider...)

If I can't fix it at the end, at least I will have been fighting with it until then, :-)

Thanks again dude!

Reply #18
[quote author="dabyd64"]
I will have to check and resolder everything, maybe more components are partially soldered.
[/quote]

I'd contact Sure Electronics. They replaced a faulty PICkit2 (one of four I'd bought from them) with no hassles.

By the way, this clone has a bunch of bugs...unless you really need to save the money...get it from microchip.

Of the hundreds they sell, there's bound to be a few duds. My Sure PICkit3 has worked perfectly for the last two years, except for the same issues as the original Microchip PICkit3.

Reply #19
[quote author="dabyd64"]A thousand thanks!! (better 50.000) I will see. There are more things lost from what I thought.
I was able to get it working a bit, in a strange way, still  not recognizing the pic attached and also sometimes not recognized as usb device.

At least they could have made some document for the users who had bought it could fix them themselves (VCC and VDD voltages accuracy and offsets, also the regulator for internal 3.3V gives 3.05V due bad resistor divider...)

If I can't fix it at the end, at least I will have been fighting with it until then, :-)

Thanks again dude![/quote]

The Olimex one I have, work's like a charm. Only problem  had with it, was that due to a power outige during a firmware upgrade, my kit3 stopped working, I contacted Olimex, and they were super nice, and sen;t me the hex file to reflash it...

also a good Idea is to download the entire flash of your Pickit3 onto a hard drive for quick fixes to similar problems..
best regards FIlip.

Reply #20
Well, the problem is that I had bought it in January, and the Sure-Electronics warranty is only 90 days.
I claimed that anyway its had strange problems from the start, and that resistors where bad soldered at the factory, it's not normal than a small drop makes such damage... But no way.
I also requested the real schematic, and they sent me a Microchip's pickit 3 copy! The should think that I'm stupid...Thanks for nothing!
So, I'm going to try doing the schematic from the PCB. If I finish it I will publish them!

Reply #21
Hi guys,
Luckily I found this forum :) It looks like I have joined the club, since my PK3 doesn't work as I would. Unfortunately, there are many deviates to the original schematic.
I made a few check, and at first the 3.3V was only 3.1V so I had to replace the R17/R24 pair with 330R/560R, and I get 3.357V : perfect for me. Additionally, before the "3.3V-case" the Vdd voltage was rather different (both the measured and the signed in MPLAB), but after look much better (but not perfect - only ~0.2V alteration).
My more painful problem is that it is not possible for me to read/program a 18F25K80 PIC, maybe because of the 9V programming voltage.
So how would it be to check the correct Vpp voltage? chr: in which way did You measure the 6.1V Vpp?

Reply #22
I got my pickit3 from sure now, and it's different from the pictures others posted here, strange.
Don't know if it works since I have newer tried an pic/pickit before.

Reply #24
Mine is the same - green 'Lötstop', but with problems on the board...see my previous post.

Reply #25
I have a Sure E Pickit 3 and see my power voltage off as well.  I need to adjust the resistors also at R17/R24.  Mine shows 3.06V now and I have had problems ID'ing some PICs already.

"I made a few check, and at first the 3.3V was only 3.1V so I had to replace the R17/R24 pair with 330R/560R, and I get 3.357V : perfect for me. Additionally, before the "3.3V-case" the Vdd voltage was rather different (both the measured and the signed in MPLAB), but after look much better (but not perfect - only ~0.2V alteration)."

From Char on another post: "Next, I backtracked my way from the ICSP connector to RB2, where VDD is sensed. There's a voltage divider involved where VDD_FBACK originates. On the clone these two resistor had different values compared to the schematic but they did have the correct ratio. Tweaking this ratio quickly lead to a correct VDD display in MPLAB.

The situation for VPP is similar. It also has an associated voltage divider and careful changes combined with monitoring this voltage during the phase were MPLAB tries to read the device id got me where I wanted to be."

Anyone know which Rs on the Sure Electronic Board are the dividers above?

Thanks!

Reply #26
Good day to ya all

(New to this forum)
Wanted to buy an PK3 after using a PK2 for some times. And after reading this thread I thought was ok to go with the Sure. But sadly the  problems aren't over yet. Bought this one on Ebay just a few weeks ago.

Experiencing some of the same problems:
- not able to supply power to the PIC
- Mismach with PIC id's
- Connecting to USB lights up a christmas tree: all the led are on (Status = red) and the PK is not registered by the OS (Chrubuntu). Work around: This can sometimes be solved by holding down the button for a few seconds, but it looks like MPLABX also needs to be running. Sometimes this has to be done several times.

But programming works (on a 16F690) when board has external power.

I will try to make some pictures this weekend and see if this is the "black solder mask" or the 'green solder mask" version and check the values of the resistors.

GJ

Reply #27
> Experiencing some of the same problems:
> - not able to supply power to the PIC

Applies equally to Microchip's original PICkit 3.

- Mismach with PIC id's

Ditto.

> - Connecting to USB lights up a christmas tree

I've not heard of this one before, but it may be a symptom of the power issue below.

> But programming works (on a 16F690) when board has external power.

Yep - the PICkit 3 manual contains a boxed note stating:

"The PICkit 3 programmer/debugger is powered through its USB connection. The target is powered from its own supply. Alternatively, the PICkit 3 can power the target only if the target consumes less than 30mA."

In another place in the manual it also states that powering the target from the PICkit 3 is not recommended for general usage as it imposes more current demands from the USB power system derived from the PC.

And in yet another:

"The desired method is for the target to provide VDD since it can provide a higher  current. The additional benefit is that plug-and-play target detection facility is  inherited, i.e., MPLAB IDE will let you know in the Output window when it has detected the target and has detected the device."

The PICkit 3 itself requires more than 100mA from the USB port and there's the usual warnings about USB cable length, using unpowered hubs, keyboard connections, disabling USB power saver modes etc.

You don't mention whether you're programming a bare chip or a chip in circuit etc. The Microchip Forums are awash with Microchip original PICkit 3 horror stories with the advantage that Microchip happily send replacements only to have the end users experience the same symptoms with the replacements, but at least you then know it's not your particular PICkit 3 to blame and the problem probably lies elsewhere :-)

Oh, and if you ever program a PIC32 with the PICkit 3, beware of accidentally pressing the function button or you will brick your PIC32 chip permanently.

Reply #28
[quote author="dpropicweb"]
Oh, and if you ever program a PIC32 with the PICkit 3, beware of accidentally pressing the function button or you will brick your PIC32 chip permanently.[/quote]

Really?! Why is that? Thanks for the tip, might have had a bricked dev board.

Reply #29
> Really?! Why is that? Thanks for the tip, might have had a bricked dev board.

The "programmer to go" function is triggered with no image in the PTG EEPROMs, so it wipes the chip completely including the device id. Microchip acknowledged the issue in September 2011 and allegedly said they'd fix it as a priority with a firmware upgrade, but the last time I was programming PIC32s (May 2012) it was still happening. I've not seen anything since apart from the warnings about it, but then I've not been programming PIC32s and I haven't been looking.