Skip to main content
Topic: Bus Pirate utility (Read 2282 times) previous topic - next topic

Bus Pirate utility

I was just thinking it might be cool to have a utility mode for general purpose helpful peripherals. Basically the utility mode would be macro driven and you could move the getfreq, pwm control, adc, stuff like that into it.

Some uses may be a simple multi meter
maybe component tester (test transistors and so fourth)
even perhaps a 5v to 3.5 barrier breaker (crazy idea; but what if you could have MISO flip the 3.3v pin when it flips? I dont know if the hardware can do that; but just an idea.)
power your circuit (Ian demonstrated the power protection capability)
simple logic analyzer moved into it
even pull ups (connect the miso mosi to your own busses and be able to select a pull up to use on your circuit)
and more.

I bet there are a ton of little utilities people could think of; perhaps v4 will have enough aux pins with different peripherals to perform them..

whats your thoughts?

Re: Bus Pirate utility

Reply #1
I tried to measure some zener diodes I've bought (couldn't trust the packaging) but my multimeter probes were broken. So I connected a series resistor to zener and powered up the whole thing with 5V, ADC probe connected between resistor and zener. The measurements waay off, my guess: voltage divider used after ADC pin to make it 5V compatible. So I'm planning to actually calculate the function and post it somewhere or add it directly to SVN. Can be a good idea for measuring LEDs and other semiconductor stuff.

Reply #2
[quote author="tayken"]I tried to measure some zener diodes I've bought (couldn't trust the packaging) but my multimeter probes were broken. So I connected a series resistor to zener and powered up the whole thing with 5V, ADC probe connected between resistor and zener. The measurements waay off, my guess: voltage divider used after ADC pin to make it 5V compatible. So I'm planning to actually calculate the function and post it somewhere or add it directly to SVN. Can be a good idea for measuring LEDs and other semiconductor stuff.[/quote]

I guess you used resistors  that interfere with the measurement. What values did you use?

Reply #3
I used a 47ohm resistor before zener as it is the normal circuit. I'll try to measure one without resistor and see how that goes.

Reply #4
47 ohm should be ok, as the voltage divider is 20 k

Reply #5
divider on ADC is 10/10 to get a 6.6v tolerant ADC without too terribly much load.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.