Skip to main content
Topic: New Microchip PIC32 chips in DIP packages are coming (Read 47174 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Microchip PIC32 chips in DIP packages are coming

Reply #15
I know that oh too well ... that's why I said 200MHz peripheral clock and higher internal clock. I'd be happy with 40MHz total clock too (and up to 80MHz should work on DIP without a problem and up to 200MHz with SOIC should also work ok) ... thing is, I often need "a lot of gates on not too high speed with low pin count" but "breadboardable" .. (and as it is breadboardable 40MHz is the limit anyhow) and then I have to make a breakout board for fpga, and to break out only few pins I need .. anyhow, I know they will never make it so ..

Reply #16
So, your high speed transitions coupled with this sub uH inductor and the trace capacitance is sufficient to set up resonances. So the general rule of thumb for is that for any programmable device running at >= 100Mhz, they go for lead-less package(QFN,QFP,BGA,TQFP). To minimize any parasitic inductance is of paramount importance to maintain good signal integrity and the package houses know this better than anybody else.

What if we need FPGA to work on frequencies under 100 MHz?...

Reply #17
[quote author="octal"][quote author="arhi"]I'd like to see CortexM3 in 28DIL[/quote]

TI already offers CortexM3 in DIP packages (originally made by Luminary).[/quote]

What part numbers?  I don't see anything DIP on TI's website, just SOIC.

Reply #18
[quote author="octal"][quote author="arhi"]I'd like to see CortexM3 in 28DIL[/quote]

TI already offers CortexM3 in DIP packages (originally made by Luminary).[/quote]

I think he meant SSOP, I am not aware of DIP. TSSOP is easier than QFP.

I would like to some ARM TSSOP with USB though... These look like no go and LM3S only has USB on 64 pin LQFP and up.

Reply #19
I actually like dip's for breadboarding ... then when I make pcb I prefer soic/ssop etc as those are faster to solder then dip's .. everything with leads is acceptable (I prever 0.5mm or more pitch but even 0.4mm can be soldered by hand), I hate leadless packages

Reply #20

Which ones?  The closest I see is 28SOIC for some of the X00 series

Reply #21
Today I've got one PIC32 in DIP28 ;)

Reply #22
I want one! Did your order it as a sample from Microchip?

Reply #24
It was free sample from microchipdirect :)
Ordered 10 days ago
Today got package from Thailand with signature confirmation

Reply #25
Thanks for posting my picture on your blog ;)
2 weeks ago Microchip said that DIP28 will be available for purchase on 09-Dec-2011, but right now it is 21-Dec-2011
Anyway - I'm trying to create "hobbyist-friendly" and "breadboard-ready" kit around this chip as simple as possible with pinouts identical to my nedoCPU-16 board
But I've never had a chance to work with PIC32 yet, so may I ask for advice/feedback here?
P.S. Pinouts of nedoCPU family:
X1: A0,A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,+5V,GND (for PIC32 instead of A5 it's +3.3V from on-board voltage regulator)
X2: B0,B1,B2,B3,B4,B5,B6,B7
X3: C0,C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7 (for PIC32 it's actually B8...B15, but header is named Cn for compatibility reason)

Reply #26
[quote author="Shaos"]
But I've never had a chance to work with PIC32 yet, so may I ask for advice/feedback here?
[/quote]

You can always ask :D (better to open a separate thread for it) question is if we will know the answer :D

Reply #27
[quote author="arhi"][quote author="Shaos"]
[/quote]

You can always ask :D (better to open a separate thread for it) question is if we will know the answer :D[/quote]

Sorry for "hijacking" this thread ;)
New thread: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3085
P.S. So question is will it be enough to go?

Reply #28
[quote author="Shaos"]
2 weeks ago Microchip said that DIP28 will be available for purchase on 09-Dec-2011, but right now it is 21-Dec-2011
[/quote]

Yesterday they said 23-Dec-2011
Right now it's 26-Dec-2011
So availability date is constantly moving - is it a bad sign?...

Reply #29
Estimated Availability:
03-Jan-2012
:(